This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help Prevent Rust

Easy ways to clean parts, remove broken bolts, etc.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Help Prevent Rust

Postby WKPoor » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:08 pm

A fella I know gave me a tip and I've tried it this year. To help keep tractors and implements that are not in use from rusting, he takes a garden sprayer and mixes motor oil with kerosene and sprays down whatever. I've got plenty stuff outside cause I'm out of room inside and usually I paint with cheap black spray paint many items to protect but the spray with oil is a lot faster for big items and cheap too. So this year all the big items outside have been sprayed down with 30W. I'm going to keep an eye out to see how long the protection lasts. This fellow also sprays down whole tractors when they first come in before they go to the barn. When they are ready to work on them they get a power washing to remove the oil. I'm figuring the oil bath might have some penetrating benefit also. I noticed when applying the protection that it seems to wick its way into every nook and cranny.

Anyone else ever see or do this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:22 pm

Sounds like a low tech "Cosmoline"

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:53 pm

30W non-detergent applied without diluting will work even better. Non-detergent won't weather off as easily, if you can find it. Heating the oil will help it spray easier.

I did it several years ago and used a metal garden sprayer and placed it on a hot plate to heat the oil until it started smoking slightly. So far, so good. Then I inserted the pump and pressurized the tank. When the hot oil got to the (overlooked) plastic hose it blew up like a balloon and it burst instantly blowing most of the hot oil in the air. :( :( :( Exciting is an understatement! There is no way to stop the excitement.

After replacing the hose with a rubber one I re-started the project with a new batch of oil and it worked very well.

I was using the hot oil to treat my previous pickup to stop and prevent further damage from road salt and it worked well. I'm sure it would work well for implements stored outdoors.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:07 pm

thats the same stuff they use on concrete forms to keep the cement from sticking
Kevin's 49er

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 pm

I use diesel and old oil, does the trick.

Return to “Shop Tips”