This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Engine question

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am

Depending on what you read and where, the Cub engine in the 184 Loboy put out anywhere from 18-21HP. I don't think it's true.

A freshly rebuilt Cub engine will seem like a powerhouse compared to an old tired worn out engine.

What you have to keep in mind is that in hotrodding ANY engine, you get a PERCENTAGE of increased power with every improvement.

When you put a goal of getting "only" 5HP more out of a Cub engine, remember that you're trying to increase its output by over 50%!

It takes a LOT of work and parts to get 5HP more out of a small block V8 engine that puts out hundreds of HP. That's only about 1-2% increase.

Here, you're talking about 50% more. On a small block V8 when they want to increase the HP by 50%, they put on a blower or nitrous.

The relationship is proportional, not linear. 50% more horsepower out of a Cub engine takes the same kind of work and parts as 50% more horsepower out of a small block V8 engine.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu May 08, 2014 4:30 pm

the 184 and 185 loboy has around 16 HP at the PTO shaft with engine running at 2600 RPM.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

93gman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16327

Postby 93gman » Fri May 09, 2014 5:13 am

Let me recap. Start with tune up. I have done plugs and wires, and generator. What else should I do for tune up? Then compression test. What should the compression test read? What about the smoke? Rings?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 09, 2014 8:02 am

What else should I do for tune up?
Valve tappet clearance, ignition timing, clean the air cleaner. The operator's manual describes the procedures and a few more items to check. There is help in the "How To" section of this site.

What should the compression test read?
Take the compression tests, record the readings. Report the readings. We can tell you what the readings indicate.

What about the smoke? Rings?
Try the SeaFoam, see it it helps. You could very well need an engine overhaul, but lets wait and see the compression test results and if the SeaFoam works.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri May 09, 2014 8:14 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:
Here, you're talking about 50% more. On a small block V8 when they want to increase the HP by 50%, they put on a blower or nitrous.

You now have me hoping that somebody somewhere has but a blower and some NoS bottles on a Cub. Doesn't matter if it's functional, would be hilarious to see!
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

Keep in mind that any attempt to increase power will risk finding the next weakest component in the system. I would suspect that if you juiced up your power, overloaded it and have enough traction, the transmission would be the next in line to detonate.
Jim

Circle of Safety

93gman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 93gman » Fri May 09, 2014 2:10 pm

The entire back half of the tractor has been redone except for a paint job. Here's the rest of the story. I hope you have time. My dad has a cub lowboy it is an awesome tractor but hardly ever uses it. I had a 35 hp compact tractor with loader. My dad was looking for something like that. I asked him if he wanted to trade just to use not to own. He after a year he still wasn't sure. So I moved on and started looking for a cub of my own.
Phase 2
I have a great neighbor he's 80ish and has a great heart but can get carried away. one day i say to him "i'm looking for a farmall cub let me know if you see one". two days latter he tells me he bought me a farmall cub. I say what do you mean? He says i seen one at a garage sale and bought it for you. if you want it i paid a 1000. well what was i to do. i would not have bought the tractor. it was a mess. so i took it to a tractor repair guy. he is an awesome guy but a little vague on pricing. i should have pinned him down to a price but i didn't. we started from the back and worked are way forward. we got to the engine and i had 2000 more rapped up in the tractor. we started in on the engine and the front of the block was cracked and the casting that held the front end on was busted. we don't know how the front end didn't fall off. at this point you could imagine my wife. i have 3000 wrapped up in a tractor and the engine is not repairable. this guy can fix anything, truly fix anything and he said it was beyond repair. So we find an engine from a guy who had a cub lowboy that was sitting in a field forever for 250 dollars. we bolted it up and away we went. So that is the story. the bad part is i am in love with the tractor. i have more in it than it is worth but i can't part with it. so i really want to get it to the point where it doesn't struggle to mow grass. Keep the help coming.

93gman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 93gman » Fri May 09, 2014 2:10 pm

The entire back half of the tractor has been redone except for a paint job. Here's the rest of the story. I hope you have time. My dad has a cub lowboy it is an awesome tractor but hardly ever uses it. I had a 35 hp compact tractor with loader. My dad was looking for something like that. I asked him if he wanted to trade just to use not to own. He after a year he still wasn't sure. So I moved on and started looking for a cub of my own.
Phase 2
I have a great neighbor he's 80ish and has a great heart but can get carried away. one day i say to him "i'm looking for a farmall cub let me know if you see one". two days latter he tells me he bought me a farmall cub. I say what do you mean? He says i seen one at a garage sale and bought it for you. if you want it i paid a 1000. well what was i to do. i would not have bought the tractor. it was a mess. so i took it to a tractor repair guy. he is an awesome guy but a little vague on pricing. i should have pinned him down to a price but i didn't. we started from the back and worked are way forward. we got to the engine and i had 2000 more rapped up in the tractor. we started in on the engine and the front of the block was cracked and the casting that held the front end on was busted. we don't know how the front end didn't fall off. at this point you could imagine my wife. i have 3000 wrapped up in a tractor and the engine is not repairable. this guy can fix anything, truly fix anything and he said it was beyond repair. So we find an engine from a guy who had a cub lowboy that was sitting in a field forever for 250 dollars. we bolted it up and away we went. So that is the story. the bad part is i am in love with the tractor. i have more in it than it is worth but i can't part with it. so i really want to get it to the point where it doesn't struggle to mow grass. Keep the help coming.

93gman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 93gman » Fri May 09, 2014 2:12 pm

i forgot. My dad said that i could have his the day after i bought this one. i had also told my father i would have the tractor totally redone for him including paint job. LIfe.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri May 09, 2014 4:51 pm

You didn't mention which mower you are using. 59" mowers are harder to pull. Have you checked to see if blade(s) are slightly lower in front when parallel with tractor and deck is at mowing height?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

93gman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 93gman » Fri May 09, 2014 6:06 pm

It is a 5 foot mower with 3 blades. I don't know the make it came with my dads tractor. I also have the 4 foot mower single blade that came with the tractor when i bought it. I have not checked the tilt.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 pm

The 42 inch mower can use up to one half inch difference, the three blade, a quarter to three-eights inch. Deere makes a plastic gauge for setting blade height. Works well and not much money. I hav a pix of one on photo host but can't make my phone copy the URL.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”