This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hello, Again, from Mid-Michigan

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
FamilyCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48817
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2007 Bad Boy

Hello, Again, from Mid-Michigan

Postby FamilyCub » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Good Afternoon,

It's a rainy afternoon in Mid-Michigan. I was surfing the web looking for information about Farmall Cub's. I came across your site and decided to register.

I am the third generation owner of a 1951 Cub. I was told my Granddad bought it new for his hobby farm. My Father inherited it when Granddad passed and I inherited it when my Father passed in 2007. My brother's been taking care of it and storing it for me since 2007. He has a place in the country and extra space in his equipment barn and I live in the city. He's decided to retire and downsize and I'll be taking charge of the tractor.

I would like to keep it but don't have much need of a tractor in town and maintenance and storage will be issues. I'm mechanically inclined and have fixed cars, mowers and other equipment but I have not worked on tractors before...especially old tractors. I don't have space in the garage and I'm quite sure it has never spent a night outdoors in it's life. I have started looking into a shed that can support the tractor's weight.

On the other hand, it's been in the family for 62 years and it brings back many a fond memory. As a kid, we spent weekends with my Grandparents. Early on Sunday morning you could always find Granddad in the garage polishing the tractor with turtle wax. He would always say: "If you wipe the wax off for me, I'll take you for a ride after Church!" In the winter, we got to ride in his handmade sleigh towed behind his trusty Cub. Any excuse to get on the Cub was a good excuse.

I know I need to change the oil and some other fluids. I have what appears to be the original Owner's Manual but I will likely have questions and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Smitty
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a bit short of the "Zippity" for my "Do Da Day!"

~ Nellie -- 1951 Cub
~ Big Dog -- 2007 Bad Boy Lightning Z

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Hello, Again, from Mid-Michigan

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Smitty:

G'day to you and congrats on becoming the keeper of your Grandfather's Cub. I am sure in time you will become as addicted to this Cub as you are attached emotionally. Having a Cub with such a connection is really special, so I hope you do decide to be the permanent keeper of this Cub.

Oh, my wife's uncle stores his 1950 Cub in a 10'x12' baby barn with double doors on it. You don't need a lot of room to keep a Cub safe and dry :idea:

FamilyCub wrote:I know I need to change the oil and some other fluids. I have what appears to be the original Owner's Manual but I will likely have questions and any help would be appreciated.

This should help: Lubrication begins on page 14 and runs through page 21

McCormick Farmall Cub Owner's Manual 1950

We have a lot of resources for our members and I would suggest that you follow the links below. Whether you are a newbie to the world of wrenching or have experience working on cars/trucks/hot rods etc., these tractors are simple to maintain/repair/rebuild. Between the manuals, How To's in the CBoK and other resources and our members there is lots of information available to help you get this Cub tuned up.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Hello from the bottom of the mitt!!Image Great to meet another Cubber from Michigan. Nice story about your Cubs history. Now we need pictures!!Image
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 am

You will never regret keeping it. A lot of implements were made for a cub, do you have any? Do you like parades (I don't)? I have my fathers 51 cub, it has a few issues and could use a lot more tlc than it gets but starts easily and runs smooth. If you are traveling west on I-94 stop by, I'm less than a mile off the interstate. Vern

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 am

Welcome to the forum Smity. I sure hope you find a way to keep the family cub.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 am

Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 am

Welcome to the Farmall Cub.com Forum from nearby Davison, Michigan!

Oh WOW! You don't have to pay shipping for great parts! :-:-): :worthy: You have two great resources right at your doorstep.
Stop in at Steiner Tractor and pick up their catalog. You can drop in for cash and carry parts. http://www.steinertractor.com/
If Steiner doesn't have it, their neighbor Alderman's Case IH Dealer probably will. They keep a lot of parts stock for the cubs. http://www.caseih.com/en_us/Pages/Dealer.aspx?id=101-061980A
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

FamilyCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
2007 Bad Boy

Postby FamilyCub » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks to Rudi, Ricky, VW, Mike, Raymond, Outdoors4evr and everyone else for your warm welcome to the forum. I'm sorry I'm so late in responding to your posts. Life events have kept me away from this forum longer that I had hoped.

First, I have been able to keep Grandpa's Cub. I built a nice shed to put her in last August. Second, I've named her "Nellie" in honor of Grandmother. Next to Grandma Nellie, Kids and Grand Kids, I think this tractor was Grandpa's second favorite. Third, I've started taking care of Nellie. I drained, flushed and replaced the oil in the steering gear, transmission and final drives. All of these were leaking because of condensation build up. I changed the oil & filter, installed new spark plugs, plug wires, oiled the magneto, serviced the air cleaner, changed the radiator fluid, etc. I think she really enjoyed the attention :D . Next, I think she will enjoy new Hydraulic fluid so this will be one of the next things on my list.

Nellie was a big help this winter. We had the most snow and cold that I have seen since the 70's. In December, we had a terrible Ice Storm that took down several trees and left the yard coated with two inches of ice. In early January we got a snow storm that dropped 18 inches in our area. Nellie's new shed is 400 feet behind the house. The only way to get to the drive was to plow my way out. Nellie really impressed me! She took the snow off 6 inches at a time on ice covered ground with using only her lug tires. I have a set of chains for her but I could not get to them. She then took the snow off the driveway the same way. She left snow banks 5' high and 8' deep on both sides of the drive. One of the snow banks is still melting.

Until last weekend, Nellie could only be started with the hand crank. She did not have a starter. She got a starter, 12 volt mini alternator (from Stenier's), battery, cables, starter rod, choke rod, etc., this last weekend. I don't know about Nellie but I really like this. She always started good with the hand crank but she really starts good with the starter. In 30 degree weather, Nellie starts before the engine makes one complete revolution.

I bought the starter, front lights & mounting hardware, rear light and mount, battery box, choke rod and a pair of beautiful mounted 9.5-24 turf tires from a very nice man some 30 miles distant. The tires have very good tread, no dry rot, no pieces missing, etc. I had been looking for a good pair for many months and finally found these. The lights are original 6 volt but I need them to be 12 volt now. This necessitated a visit to Steiner's.

Visiting Steiner's was a wonderful time! I live about 12 miles away. I felt like a kid in a candy store and I haven't felt that way in a long time!! :D I picked up the alternator, a mounting bracket, Ammeter, Light Switch, 12 Volt bulbs and some other pieces. They boxed up my bounty and I started for the door when the man from behind the counter said "Don't you want your hat"? "My hat?" I wasn't wearing a hat so i said "What hat?" He said you get a free hat with your purchase. So, I left wearing my Farmall Red had with "Steiners" logo in white lettering. It was better than candy!

Thank you!
Smitty

Cub.jpg
Meet Nellie
Cub.jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 574 times

Nellie's House.JPG
Nellie's New House
Nellie's House.JPG (100.33 KiB) Viewed 574 times

~ Nellie -- 1951 Cub

FamilyCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
2007 Bad Boy

Postby FamilyCub » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 am

Ricky: Wanted to say but forgot to mention earlier that I'm familiar with your area. My Step Mother lives in Niles and my Step Sister lives in Buchanan. From 1988 to 1994 my Father and Stepmother lived outside of Cassopolis on M-60.

I like yours (and others) hydraulic plow angler. This is one of the next projects I have on my "to do" list.

Best wishes,
Smitty

~ Nellie -- 1951 Cub

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Cool! If you would happen to head down this way next Saturday, the 26th, you'll be able take in the Buchanan School Farm Plow Day just north of town. Normally I'll have a tractor or two out there but this year I'll be in a golf cart with my dad. Dad turns 90 tomorrow. He has always loved farming and would love nothing more than to be out there on his John Deere turning over dirt. Spending time with Dad is always special but it's just hard for him to do much anymore and I can't think of anything he'd enjoy more than to be out in the field on a nice spring day.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

FamilyCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
2007 Bad Boy

Postby FamilyCub » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for the invite but our daughter is in the school play this year. She has two performances on the 26th.

My Mother's, Father was a life long farmer. He was happiest in the barn with his cows or on his tractor. He had two Allis-Chalmers. The tractors were always parked in the garage and Grandma's new Ford always sit outside.

He had a dairy farm near Cedar Springs but he also farmed 400 acres (usually corn) and hay for his cows. He loved that farm and would rather be no place else. He milked 4:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. every day. We lived in Flint when I was a kid. They would come for Sunday dinner once or twice a month but Grandpa always had to be home to milk by 4:00.

~ Smitty

~ Nellie -- 1951 Cub

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 am

Sorry that I am coming late to the party on this post. Just happened to browse by this morning. I have to say this...if that tractor has never been repainted in its life, it has to be about the most beautiful original tractor that I have ever seen on this forum. It is obvious that your grandfather took really meticulous care of this unit. I am so happy that you found a way to keep it. Just awesome!!!

Mike in PA
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”