This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

982 Troubles...side curtains...fuel...

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

982 Troubles...side curtains...fuel...

Postby Ida Red » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:37 am

How important is it to have 982 Side Curtains in place. Do they serve any function.
Also on mine I notice that the inline fuel filter is only half full of gas all the time and at times there are bubbles in the line between the fuel pump and carb. It stalls out when you hit it.
She has to plow but not like this....
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 982 Troubles...side curtains...fuel...

Postby gitractorman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 am

Red,
I'd double check that the fuel line is not restricted. Often times I've seen a little bit of debris in the fuel tank, typically grass or pine needle, that will converge at the fuel discharge causing a restriction while mowing. If none of this is happening, and you have good fuel flow, then the filter is fine. Most of them will not be full of fuel all the time when running. Sometimes you need to re-orient the filter to get it to hold more fuel more consistently.

The engine stalling when punching the gas is not that uncommon either. Remember, this isn't fuel injection. Just a butterfly that opens and the vacuum pulls more fuel into the carb. If things aren't perfect, she's going to choke and surge. A small vacuum leak can cause this. Dirt in the carb, carb out of adjustment, etc., could cause this too. Most tractors of that age you have to gradually increase the throttle to prevent choking, for any or all of these reasons. Also, I've been using Sea Foam - Deep Creep in carbs to clean them up, and it really works great. Take the air cleaner off and spray a bunch in the carb while not running. Also, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and spray a bunch through the fuel inlet. Let it sit for 15 or more minutes, then start her up and get it running at 3/4 throttle. Spray some more through the air intake, nearly choking the engine out, a few times. It really cleans out the carb and carbon in the engine.

The side panels actually do serve a good purpose. The design of the engine compartment utilizes the engine panels to help direct air through the engine in the correct direction. A REALLY good thing to do on those tractors is to remove all the sheet metal and blow out the cooling fins on the engine. They will plug with oil and gas and prevent the engine from cooling properly. Then get all the sheet metal back in place and get the side panels on.

What is the problem you're having with the side panels. I know one trick, especially with the older tractors like this, is to loosen the 4 grill mounting bolts at the frame, just enough to move the grill a little, slide the grill forward, install the side panels where you want them, bump the grill back so it is snug the way you want it, then tighten the grill mounting bolts. Believe it or not, this can make a huge difference in the way the panels fit. I've had many quiet line and newer Cub Cadets that people insisted the side panels were bent or would not fit, and in 10-minutes, I had them on the tractor and fitting like new. Sometimes this takes a few tries, but it works. Also remember, the side panels are designed to fit bottom side first then push in at the top. They'll never go on the other way, top first then bottom.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 am

Air bubbles in fuel line. Check the condition of the fuel lines, looking for cracks, deterioration, loose hose clamps, etc..

Next thought, fuel pump diaphragm leaking?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 pm

She has a new fuel pump Eugene.
GI TRACMAN that is a wealth of info.Talk about a primer on tuning up my 982,Holy Nellie I appreciate that.
My those 20HP twins sound almost like a Harley but not quite.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Yea, I love those 982s. That Onan engine is a beautiful power plant, but they are a bit $$ to work on. Take care of it because parts are expensive. By the way, that 20-hp Onan engine is actually 782cc displacement, so yea, if you had straight pipes it would REALLY sound like a Harley!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Ida Red wrote:She has a new fuel pump Eugene.
All that means is you have a new fuel pump, and that you have attempted to solve the problem, and not found the solution. Air bubbles in fuel line, either sucking air some place or massive amount of air trapped in fuel line. Air trapped in fuel line will restrict fuel flow.

GItractorman mentioned straightening the fuel filter to eliminate as much air as possible. Also, straighten or remove any humps in the fuel line to eliminate trapped air.

What other problems are you having with the engine?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Bill and Eugene I have finally hit pay dirt with the 982.
I started back at the tank. I pulled the shut off tap and it had a plugged tank screen attached so i removed it and then blew out the tank. Then I moved the inline filter up the line nearer the new fuel pump on the level. Having pulled the breather I fired her up and the filter now was 3/4 full and bubbles had dissappeared and she ran much better. After she warmed up I shut her down and gave the carb and gas inlet the full Sea Foam treatment. You can now hit her and she takes right ahold. Next we are heading to the field and maybe a show or two.
Thanks fellows and all the best. Red

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am

Red,
Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Bill

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi Bill how are you doing?
Just got back from The Henry Ford.org. If you have not been there it is well worth the drive to Detroit.
About my 982... why would all the gas run down into the oil after having sat for a month last fall with the gas tap not shut off?

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:21 am

Red,
All is good here. Just can't wait for a little warmer weather.

The float is stuck in your carburetor or the needle valve isn't seating properly, and because the gas tank is higher than the engine, the gas slipped by the pump, through the carb, and into the crank case. REALLY common problem with these tractors. I actually had two 1811 Cub Cadets out at my hunting camp with the same problem and after rebuilding the carbs multiple times, still couldn't get them to stop leaking gas. So, I used one of the holes on the dash tower and installed one of these shutoff valves.

I used one of the spare fuse holder holes already in the lower left corner of the dash pedestle, just above the transmission cover, to install the valve. That way, it's just below the choke lever, and every time I got on the tractor, I'd flip the lever up to turn on the gas, then pull the choke to start it. I'm not sure if the 982 has the same holes down there, but you could drill and put it anywhere down on the vertical parts of the dash tower.

I know this is not the best fix, but honestly, I had just about pulled out all of my hair with the 1811s and still couldnt get the gas to stop leaking through the carb. So, this has worked beautifully for over two years now. There has been a few times when someone left the valve on, but our second backup to this problem is to never leave the tank full of gas. We actually try to run it almost empty each time we mow. I know that's not a good answer either, but it works.

Bill

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 am

Great thread! At the end of season last year, after having installed a new fuel pump, cleaning out the carb and installing a new fuel filter and shutoff valve, my 782 is doing some surging. So, think I'll follow by inspecting the cleanliness of the fuel tank/screen and perhaps rearranging the position of the fuel filter and shutoff to see if I get different results.

I have a can of the Sea Foam Deep Creep, so may give that a try as well.

Thanks, Bill.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks for the quick feedback Bill and great info. With regard to fuel line obstruction, I found that the original filter in the bottom of the tank was blocked so I cut it out and put in an in-line filter.Start with the obvious solutions first and work your way back.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity Conquest

Postby gitractorman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:44 am

Yea, I really like these fuel filters from Kohler:

They're only about $5.00 and you can get them anywhere including Home Depot, NAPA or Auto Zone. You'll see that if they are mounted horizontally they often have air in them while the engine is running, but that's normal and won't affect the engine running. I like them because they are clear and you can see if you have big chunks of something or grass in them, and they work great!

I typically pull that in-tank filter right out and discard it. It's way too small and easy to plug anyway.

Bill

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Bill what would a set of points cost me for my Cadet 982. Les Norwich, On.

Return to “Cub Cadet”