This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Found Rod Knock

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Found Rod Knock

Postby WKPoor » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:07 pm

It appears my knock is the wrist pin or bushing. Removed bearing cap and rod bearings look perfectly new. Pushed piston on up into bore and I could rock rod for/aft about 15-20 degrees along with noticeable up and down play without piston moving.Rod also has noticeable twisting motion. I assume it should only rotate about the pin without any play otherwise. I'm guessing the short block builder messed up in this area. I bought the block out of a tractor that was built for pulling and had only pulled a couple of times when the owner decided it wasn't powerful enough to compete. Oh well I'm a learning :lol: :lol: Someone once told me education can be expensive. This one should be more time than expense I hope.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:41 pm

Glad to hear it's not a blown crankshaft.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Well I got everything apart and inspected and I gotta say this one was text book all the way. The rod bushing came loose and was allowed to rotate thus the oil hole no longer lined up with the hole in the rod. Loss of lubricant lead to advance wear condition in the bushing.
I was diligant enough to get this one before something bad happened. I would advise anyone with a noise no matter how insignificant to check it out. Just as in my case a little tick turned out to be a serious problem and if left alone could have lead to engine failure eventually. The kit installed was a Tisco. The pistons have a rather large piston pin that requires a thin bushing rather than the thick one that may have been stock. Anyone doing a rebuild would be wise to pay close attention to this area. The rods are now at a shop where they might have to rebore the rod and install oversize bushings.
That little tick just might be something more! :wink:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:09 pm

Glad that is all Bill. As bad as this seems it is better than if it had been a crank gone bad.
Glad you caught it in time.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”