This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not quite Cub related, but....

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Not quite Cub related, but....

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:35 am

Folks,

As some of you know, I've moved back to the old home place. My Farmall Cub helps take care of the land - mowing around the pond, and hopefully having a small garden this year. We'll see.

Anyway, this past Saturday morning I was backing out the back door getting ready to run a few errands and get some groceries.

All of a sudden I heard a bunch of flapping of wings, and "gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble!"

I managed to turn around just in time to see a flock of wild turkeys airborne and heading for the closest corner of the pond dam.

I watched until most of them landed there. The rest flew on past the backside of the dam.

I sneaked back in the house to grab my camera. Please forgive me for the cloudiness of the photos. It was a heavy misty rain this past Saturday morning.

Hope you enjoy the sight of these photos.

Cheers!
Attachments
PICT0335.JPG
PICT0335.JPG (102.53 KiB) Viewed 458 times
PICT0334.JPG
PICT0334.JPG (98.37 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Not quite Cub related, but....

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:45 am

Several nice gobblers in those photos.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:47 am

i would have went back an got the shotgun, It's turkey season here.

Nice picture.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Boy you are so lucky, not so sure on the shotgun idea, unless you are hungry :lol: :lol:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Have you checked into free land owner hunting tags?

Missouri, 36 acres, son get the following hunting tags free for being a land owner.
2 ea. Archery any deer.
2 ea. Archery turkey.
2 ea. Archery anterless deer.
2 ea. Firearm turkey.
1 ea. Firearm any deer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy, but here goes. I've never seen any wild turkeys in all my life time until I moved back to the old home place. I'm in my 60's now, and I consider this a bit of sacred ground.

Yeah, I have a pond out back. I feed the fish and get great enjoyment out of it. But, I have yet to go fishing as I've become friends with them too. The fish know my footsteps, and you can see the ripples in the water as they race towards me to get fed.

I just don't have the heart to kill the turkeys nor the fish. It even bothers me to see the grey Herons robbing my pond of fish or seeing the other birds of prey do the sky dive into the pond and come out with a big bass in it's claws. But, that's nature.

I'm just as content to watch nature grow in it's native state. I get enough food from my gardens. Love my corn, tomatoes, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, pecans, etc.

Yes, I love to eat fish - in the restaurant. Yes, I love to eat turkey - at a family gathering.

It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't find a turkey in this area for several surrounding counties. I think I'll let them grow some more and watch the babies grow up too.

Now, I'd love to see some quail come back around. That's another bird that disappeared over the decades.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I'll keep my cameras ready to shoot.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Turkey???? Don't let the area farmers know, they may want to bill you when they have to re-plant??? As for making friends with the fish, know a guy who taps on the dock of his irrigation pond every time he walks out on it ---- then throws in a coffee can of fish food. The fish get to the end of the dock before he does. It "don't" sound fair, but he claims it makes for very easy fishing when he wants fish for dinner.
Enjoy your bit of Eden, I don't hunt or fish, but am envious.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Like you, SundaySailor, I recently moved back and bought my grandmother's house right up the hill from my parent's house on Hengelsberg Hill. We have a flock of about 30 turkeys around the land. They typically roost at my parents' house in the woods. I have never seen/heard turkeys roosting before I moved home...They are really funny to watch and they get WAY up in the trees on the small branches and sway with the breeze. I guess they like being away from the predators that come out at night that way!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Off Topic”