This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

25 years ago today

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

25 years ago today

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:19 pm

A man named Tim burners-Lee wrote a paper proposing a way to share scientific information on the internet, and so began the World Wide Web (www.) which changed the way we do many of the things in our lives for good or bad, depending on your view point. Information such as this makes me feel old considering I was experimenting with writing programs before there was such a fancy thing as Windows.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 25 years ago today

Postby Barnyard » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:23 pm

And 10 years and 2 months later a man named Dennis Raney came along and started farmallcub.com so we could all make better use of Sir Tim's invention!

Thanks to both men for playing a big part in all of us getting to know each other a little better.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Amen to that Mr. Barnyard
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:58 pm

I remember using the internet before the WWW started. Accessing data at a university was about all you could do. I wrote the html code for our first website from scratch - no editors. Now it is hard to imagine life without the web. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Wait a minute. Who's this Tim Burners-Lee guy?? I thought Al Gore said he invented the internet..... :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 pm

ricky racer wrote: I thought Al Gore said he invented the internet..... :lol:

He didn't but Dick Armey got a lot of mileage out of misquoting him. Remember Armey? He was one of the perpetrators of the contract on America.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:22 am

Remember Armey?....And things were going so good this morning….

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:05 am

Jim Becker wrote:
ricky racer wrote: I thought Al Gore said he invented the internet..... :lol:

He didn't but Dick Armey got a lot of mileage out of misquoting him. Remember Armey? He was one of the perpetrators of the contract on America.

If this was facebook, I would click the "like" button....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am

Jim Becker wrote:He didn't but Dick Armey got a lot of mileage out of misquoting him. Remember Armey? He was one of the perpetrators of the contract on America.

I believe that was the Contract WITH America. And the voters on both sides of the aisle apparently liked it. :wink:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am

The internet is a good thing. Unless you are on a server such as I am. It stays down about as much as it is up.

Billy

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:54 pm

The power of the Internet and the web lies in its conversations. My generation grew up in an era where most conversations were one-to-one and private. Some conversations are now one -to -many and even one to one conversations are public. The web can be used for good or for bad, but in my opinion its positive aspects far outweigh the negative ones. I can talk to anyone in the world about anything. One of my biggest interests is technology and I know my peripheral knowledge has improved after meeting people on-line with the same interest. The same happened many years ago after searching for a Farmall Cub site to fix up my tractor and my virtual connections have become real life ones, professionally and socially. You can find out just about anything and access information that previously would never have been made widely and almost instantly available.

In my opinion it's the best ever invention of modern times because it has made such a difference to people's lives. You can be as informed as you care to be.

Now with Skype I can see and talk with family members far away at anytime…what more can I ask … Much of my current life has been shaped by the Internet and the web especially this winters many snowed in days.

ArtN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby ArtN » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm

I think it was and is a great invention myself. Thinking back I sure wish it was around back in the days I was soldier and stationed oversea's. It would been a great comfort to talk daily to my old friends or family back then. And if you want to know how to fix something or determine can you do it or should you hire someone nothing is better then the net. Even you tube's you can watch to take you step by step. I love it and probably spend too much time on it. Have a note book by my bed also and if I am having a hard time going to sleep and think of some question I would like to research I just type it up. Don't know how I lived without it. But I am worried about the kids who seem to want to do nothing else (outside) then text all day. Kids texting each other when 3 feet apart I just don't understand that. Get out and do something.

Return to “Off Topic”