This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Be Safe Out There Tonight

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Be Safe Out There Tonight

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:26 pm

There are a lot of crazies out on the roads this evening. Drive defensively and stay out of their way. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: Be Safe Out There Tonight

Postby grumpy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 pm

I agree. I'm even staying sober tonight. (standby for ambulance) Hopefully won't be needed.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:48 pm

I am staying home like always. Unfortunately my daughter works the night shift at a WalMart about 30 miles away. Has to be there at 10pm, so hopefully she will be there before the drunks are out too bad. Most of them will be in the ditch before she gets off at 7am
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:41 am

I already had my close call for today. Log truck had passed me like I was sitting still about two minutes prior to ramming the back of a semi. He was about a 100 yds. ahead when I saw some abrupt lane swapping.....smoke.......then logs flying everywhere. Opposite lane vehicle got tagged with a log right on the rear wheel, and spun out. The way the car bounced around, I think the lady ran over the log. Her car looked bent from the rear....but she was ok. Headache rack on the log truck served it's purpose.....but if the logs had been bigger.....probably would not have. Semi driver was ok but log truck driver was hurting some in his mid section.....was walking around though. Oh, the chains that bound the logs? Snapped like cheap twine. Imagine the force with that abrupt deceleration. I think the chains are only for keeping the logs secure for normal transit. A safe driver is the best bet. Counting my blessings.

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 am

Yeah defensive driving is the key. Back in the late 50's on television in Ireland they showed a series called Highway Patrol starring Broderick Crawford. He always signed off at the end of the show with words to this effect "Remember folks in an accident out there on the highway, it is not important who is right ITS WHO IS LEFT. Wise words.
Bernard.
Donegal Cub.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:59 am

Harold, glad you only watched that one and did not participate, They used to, and I think still do, call drivers like were in that log truck "Cowboys". In some situations calling someone a cowboy is a compliment, but not when referring to a driver.

Bernard, talking about the old show Highway Patrol you are telling your age. It was one of my favorites also. :lol:

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 pm

John they wont let me put on a family forum what professional drivers call that kinda driver these days :D It does appear to be a case of recto cranial inversion tho.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:John they wont let me put on a family forum what professional drivers call that kinda driver these days :D It does appear to be a case of recto cranial inversion tho.
Had to go to a proctologist to get a haircut?

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 am

My fave Broderick line is , " If you wanna be a clown go to the circus, but stay off the road."
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Safety Forum”