This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I think I have a problem; Number 5 came home. Kind of long.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

I think I have a problem; Number 5 came home. Kind of long.

Postby farmallcub49 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:27 pm

I have been looking for one of these ever since I started messing with Cub's over 15 years ago. Most of them have been way out of reach; both mileage and budget. This one was North of my place a few hours and the price after lots of negotiating; wasn't too bad. Although, I should have negotiated more, the seller didn't disclose all the problems. He said it ran, although the sediment bulb was missing, claimed to have used a turkey baster to squirt gas in. It wanted to fire once, I put in a sediment bulb, but after I took the hood off, the compression read 100-0-0-100. Two stuck intake valves, with some gentle tapping one moved in short order. The other one moved as well, but wouldn't spring shut, so I pulled that one and it works well. The readings now are 100-90-90-100.

After all that it still wouldn't run, so I pulled the carb and I knew that fellow was lying for sure. The carb was so gummed up it would never have started let alone run. After waiting a week for the IH carb kit, which has gone up to $121 and doesn't include the float. I bought an aftermarket float and installed it and it still wouldn't run, not enough gas? I set it to the spec, but looking at the float, the hinge was soldered off-center, so with some trial and error tweaking, I had plenty of gas and it started after lots of coaxing. It ran, but the carb was popping, figured it was a valve issue. I almost pulled the cover and rechecked my valve adjustment, but then I thought double check the plug wiring, sure enough I had 1 and 4 crossed. It smoothed out and ran perfect after that. I still can't believe it started and ran so well with the plug wires crossed. The only thing I have to work out is trying to figure out why the throttle dosen't respond; I imagine the shaft coming out of the governor is froze or the governor itself needs some work?

The front axle is welded up, but at least the guy didn't weld all the way around the tubes, just on top; was easier to do I guess. The fellow told me the transmission was locked up and it was rusty inside. Well, lucky for me, he had it full of some sort of penatrent. Once in the shop, with the cover off, I could tell he had beat on the shifting forks trying to get it too move. It was stuck in two gears. The splines were crusty, so with a small wire brush I cleaned them up and eventually I was able to get everything free and moving again.

With it running, I tried the hydraulics and they lift the mower with ease. Tried the PTO and it is froze, I imagine it is crusty like the transmission. I have a lot to do, so for now this one will have to wait for further repairs. I have always wanted a 105 mower, I need it like a hole in the head, but they so different and unique I needed one. Once I rebuild the mower and get the pto working, I will be busy mowing the road ditches around the lake and who knows where else I will use it.

This poor tractor has seen a rough life, I suspect. The heavy duty and well built bumper has saved it from lots of aches and pains, it has saved the front motor mounts from breaking. The rear bumper is also well built, but I am not sure what they would have pulled around with it. The steering column is lengthened with a u-joint, the steering column has been raised, along with the upper half of the seat. This poor tractor, if it could talk I am sure i would just shoot it to save it from all of it's misery.

Sorry for the long post, below are the photos. For anyone who owns one of these, the last pictures shows a pivot area for the mower, is this supposed to be relatively snug?
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: I think I have a problem; Number 5 came home. Kind of l

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 pm

That's not a bumper, that's a battering ram. :shock:

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Congrats on saving another one. It does not look bad at all. I have a lot worse!!!

Did you actually have to pay $121 for a carb kit or was that a typo?
"I ain't believing this!"

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Good find Andy. With your knowledge you will have it all running like new soon. Todd

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:34 pm

No typo, that is what the IH dealer snagged me for the kit. The pros on here say to not waste your money on other kits, but at that price I have to wonder?
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Return to “Farmall Cub”