This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Died?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Generator Died?

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Hello everyone! I took my '54 Betty out to clear snow for the first time this year. I was very impressed with the tractor's ability to move even the largest piles...with the exception of whether or not I could get traction on my paved driveway. Anywho - I went to push a mound across our road and stalled in the middle of it. :x :x :x The tractor wouldn't even turn over. Before the town plow came zipping around the corner I managed to tow the Cub back up the driveway with my car. I tested the battery. Dead. I charged it, put it back in the Cub and started her up. The ammeter was just stone dead. No charge. :roll:

Is there a way to test the generator without having to take the entire hood off and trace all of the wiring? :?: I'm not all that interested in trying to use little tools with frozen fingers in 20-something weather if you catch my drift. THANK YOU in advance.
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Generator Died?

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Just a quick thought - with the tractor running or not the ammeter goes negative when I turn the lights on. So that connection seems functional.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Tough to work on Cubs in the winter. The troubleshooting flow chart will help you pin it down. There is a slight chance your generator lost it's 'polarity'.

Plan B would be keep the battery on a charger (preferably a 'smart' one) and that way you can at least use it, be sparing with the lights, they use a lot of power. A Cub will go a pretty long time on a charged battery, the ignition doesn't use much power.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Ah now that's a good chart to keep handy! Sadly, and as some of the fine gentlemen here can attest, I have a horrible electrical system. My cutout appears to be an original item from a Model A. :roll: I removed it and all of the wiring that goes along with it, giving each contact a good cleaning and still no increase in voltage at the battery between running and not. I have a feeling it may have finally "cut out..." :lol: But yes since the tractor starts and runs on a full battery I'm just going to deal with it until spring. I'll throw on the trickle charger when needed. I'm going to pick up a new voltage regulator this week and see if I can wire it properly. I believe a "warm-up" is in order in a few days. We might actually see 40. Just warm enough to be moderately comfortable in the garage. :-:-):

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Tezell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 am

I bet you will find it is the regulator.
"I ain't believing this!"

Return to “Farmall Cub”