This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Whine - Slow Operation

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Hydraulic Whine - Slow Operation

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am

Hi fellas! (And ladies?) I haven't been on in a few weeks. Hope all is well!

My '54 Betty was at Cecil's Cubfest back in October (Cecil broke my Cubfest virginity! :lol: ) and we swapped out my cracked hydraulic reservoir for a replacement box and internal components. I noticed a few changes with the new unit and wanted to get some feedback.

We swapped out the new reservoir, filled it with hydraulic fluid, and it worked right at the start. In the coming days I started to hear an occasional whining. I checked the hydraulic fluid yesterday prior to plowing and noticed it was low. I wouldn't find that all too surprising. Since we were losing sunlight fast, we filled it at the Cubfest without really cycling the :censored: out of the touch control to properly bleed it. When I filled it yesterday, the extra poured out as a milky white. It appeared to be bubbly. A note here, I see no indication of any hydraulic fluid leaking into the crankcase. Oil appears clean and the dip stick doesn't show that I have an abnormally high amount of fluid.

Prior to posting this morning I read the touch control section of the manual and searched other threads here. Seems any air leak into the hydraulics will make this whining happen. This morning I started Betty and let her warm up a bit. No whining. I then took the reservoir filler lug off and the whine started immediately. I cycled the touch control about twenty times to bleed the system and make sure the fluid level was where it should be. Seemed good. Put the plug back on. I let it run for about twenty minutes and the whine started again. Note also that the whine stops when I move the touch control and then starts when it has completed its movement.

My questions:

1) Where would the most likely leak be? We only removed the rear hydraulic lines to the case and used a new gasket.
2) Also seems as though the blade will raise three times as fast as it lowers. What would cause that?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Calvin
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

raystractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37058
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1970 Cub, 1975 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1939 A, 1948 super A, 1952 super A, 1950 C demonstrator, 1952 Super C, 1949 H, 1956 farmall 300, 1957 international 350, 1963 Massey Ferguson 35
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulic Whine - Slow Operation

Postby raystractors » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 am

Does it whine when the control lever is in the center of travel, or only when at the ends of the travel?

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am

Only at the ends of travel.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:23 am

Hey Calvin....It sounds like contaminated fluid , white signifying water, and I suppose bubbles could mean air but also water does that......What did we fill that with...Maybe you could try changing the fluid....I've been using TSC hydraulic fluid ( the one that says ,hytran acceptable, on the back label...Its 18.99 for two gallons last I bought it) or new hytran...If its not that it sound like it might be a pump issue....Cecil is in the shadows ( I just got a pm from him)...You might try pm,ing him....He has alot more insight into things hydraulic than I....I just am the guy who helped you change the unit... :lol: Have a good day bud....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 am

Dave! My right hand man! Hey buddy! OK so after posting my inquiry I went outside to check on how tight the bolts were that fasten the hydraulic lines to the reservoir case. It seems I can actually tighten them without putting some major weight into them so I think this might be the culprit. The only question is how tight can I make these bolts without doing damage or snapping them? Since they seem to be, at the very least, not as tight as they should be, let's start there and pray to the great Cub God Farmallius! :worthy:

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:32 am

pickerandsinger wrote:Maybe you could try changing the fluid....I've been using TSC hydraulic fluid...

That's what we filled it with. Seems to be decent stuff!

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 am

If you haven't found your leak yet and the problem still exists check you engine crankcase oil level. If the hydraulic pump is leaking the oil level in the engine will increase .

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 am

Connecticut Calvin wrote:Only at the ends of travel.

The stops that limit the travel of the control lever may need adjusting. (I don't have time to explain the procedure right now. It is in the Touch-Control Servicemans Guide (manuals at the top of this page), or can probably be found by a search here.)

If that isn't it, you may have a bit of contamination on the orifice, accessable through the pipe plug in the Touch-Control head.

Or it may be the nature of the beast. Some are noisier than others.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 am

A couple of comments. You cannot tell you are losing hydraulic fluid into crankcase by the looks of engine oil. Any water causing it to be milky or any air bubbles will be gone as soon as the engine reaches operating temperature. You cannot check hydraulic fluid level just by looking, there is a ledge with a lip on it that reaches about an inch into the touch control and hold oil on it. The actual reservoir is beyond that so you have to reach inside the unit a ways to verify the level. My preferred method is a bent wire to use as a dipstick.

One note, and I may be opening a can of worms here, I have been trying some of the HyTran compatible fluids, and they seem to work acceptably, but I have noticed one difference. In cold weather (mid teens to lower 20s) the hydraulics are noticeably more sluggish with the compatible fluids than Hytran, especially going down where it is going through the retarder valve.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Calvin I'm pretty sure that the control lever is out of adjustment at the end of the travel. Betsy has done that forever and I know not to push the lever to far. I probably should fix it some day. LOL.

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Wow fellas as usual a stellar response! :{_}: And we're all over the map for solutions :? but it turns out that in fact the hydraulic lines connected to the reservoir just weren't tight enough. I believe DAVE tightened them! BAD DAVE! Just kidding, it was me, I admit. :oops: I kept the tractor running and had my neighbor move the touch control back and forth while I slowly tightened each bolt with a short ratchet. I tightened each bolt a bit, then to the next, clockwise, to maintain even pressure on the gasket. Each turn made a noticable difference and the last tightening rotation did the trick. Not a single peep from the hydraulics any more. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: Ol' Betty is keeping me entertained for sure. Lots of good hydraulic data here. I'm going to go back and make sure levels are all good. THANK YOU gentlemen!

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Connecticut Calvin wrote: I believe DAVE tightened them! BAD DAVE! Just kidding, it was me, I admit.
Yep thats for sure, I am definetly not known for under tightening...Stripping, breaking but never untightening.... :lol: :lol:Thats why in the shop I now have a 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrench... Glad you found it, I hear you got some snow coming...( I'm in Florida awaiting a rotator cuff op on Friday...) Too much bolt bending and breaking :lol: :lol:
In Memory of 58,286

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:
Connecticut Calvin wrote: I believe DAVE tightened them! BAD DAVE! Just kidding, it was me, I admit.
Yep thats for sure, I am definetly not known for under tightening...Stripping, breaking but never untightening.... :lol: :lol:Thats why in the shop I now have a 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrench... Glad you found it, I hear you got some snow coming...( I'm in Florida awaiting a rotator cuff op on Friday...) Too much bolt bending and breaking :lol: :lol:

Ha! That's hilarious! :lol: Florida huh? You come all the way up to NY to see our butts and you're in Florida?!

A potential "potent" storm on the way. Good thing I had these little dusters the last few days. I needed practice on how to plow my difficult driveway! But Betty just pushes anything in her way. I LOVE this tractor! :-:-):

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Cub parts tractor
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:42 am

I got a place in Central New York April 1st till ???? Then to Florida for the winter months. :D ...
Connecticut Calvin wrote: Florida huh? You come all the way up to NY to see our butts and you're in Florida?!
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”