This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

smoke falling

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

smoke falling

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 am

After I refilled my wood stove and opened the draft this morning I noticed the smoke was coming out of the chimney, and sliding down the roof and falling almost straight to the ground. That brought back to my mind a saying that the old timers had, "when the smoke went to the ground, falling weather was coming". I think it was a lot more accurate when heating was done with fireplaces and the old stoves that lost a lot of heat up the chimney and the heat tended to carry the smoke higher. The modern stoves such as my airtight do not loose near as much heat up the chimney, so the damp and cold air tend to make the smoke stay low a lot more, but today is extreme. When I turned on the weather they are predicting light freezing rain and snow for this morning and tonight, so it appears my stove and the weather guessers agree.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Re: smoke falling

Postby torchred89 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Did you ever here? That putting potato peelings in the wood stove. Would stop creosote build up.

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: smoke falling

Postby Bezirk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:04 pm

My parents always put potato peelings in the wood stove , I don' t know if it helped prevent creosote build up or not .

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Return to “Off Topic”