This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Distributor oil leak help...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12804

Re: Distributor oil leak help...

Postby couchsachraga » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 pm

I think I've found the problem- I'm hoping it is the same seal you folks seem to think it should be.

After removing the distributor shaft (which was easy, actually - there was no roll pin to drift out… who knows where it went…) you can see an oil seal that fits in to the housing on the "engine" (vs cap) end of the distributor housing. ANY oil getting in to the distributor would have to go by that seal…. It looks like an O-ring.

Next up (after I put the kids to bed) will be seeing if that is a bronze bushing at the end (almost looks it) that "holds" it in, or if it fits in to a little groove there. I'm hoping that
1) I can get it out in one piece
2) I'll get lucky and can match it to my set of O-rings (thus saving ordering one from somewhere).

Thoughts?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:37 pm

There is nothing in the distributor causing your problem. It is the seal at the governor!!! Oil should never reach the Distributor. Look at the parts break down
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Not to be argumentative, but then why is there an oil seal there (looking at the parts breakdown, as well as the distributor itself?

Taking it apart I may look for another distributor -the dust cover is missing (unless my parents removed it to let the oil out), the hole for the roll pin (which was missing) is a little ovalled out, and there is a noticeable (by sight and feel) groove where the O-ring I've been going on about rides.

When I'm up there next (after rebuilding this one or tracking down another) I'll pull the next piece off (no magneto on this one, so it is not the magneto) and check that the seal there is in the proper location and still looks OK. I find it hard to believe a new seal was put on wrong twice by someone other than me;)

It seems to me the drive gear should get some oil, but I'm no expert:)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:07 pm

couchsachraga wrote:Not to be argumentative, but then why is there an oil seal there (looking at the parts breakdown, as well as the distributor itself?
Distributor is lubricated with grease. Purpose of the seal is to keep the grease and oil separated from the grease inside the distributor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 pm

When you check the seal on the governor it should be set at 23/32 from the distributor side of the engine housing.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm

I haven't ever got into that end of a distributor, I have only ever come from the other end to do points. If I need to do something involving that end I have a mechanic (aka John *.?-!.* cub owner :D ).

I'm thoroughly confused so I looked at the parts breakdown to see what I could learn.......#24 looks like an o ring to me. Is this to keep grease in the distributor?
The governor oil seal is to keep the engine oil in the engine and out of the distributor?
So that should leave a little no mans land between the two that doesn't need or get oiled/greased?
Page-28.jpg
Page-28.jpg (348.6 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Manual page from Rudi's server, Thanks Rudi.

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:36 pm

That's one of the diagrams I've been looking at as well.

As the shaft is worn I'm going to try and replace it - with any luck the local IH place will have it in stock (they've surprised me before…). Once it is all back together such that it appears correct I'll tackle the other end. I'm assuming when I remove the next unit (distributor drive assembly) that other shaft will fall out, and with any luck I'll have an idea where that seal is and will be able to make sure it is in good shape, and perhaps nudge it closer to the distributor.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:39 pm

The no mans land, AKA distributor drive housing, should get grease once in a great while.

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Ok, I'm up and tearing in to the cub finally (the distributor is much tighter and happier after it's rebuild.

So now I"m about to replace the governor seal so many of you have pointed to - last time(s) it was done by someone else.

So, what IS the easy way (is there one?) to get the old seal out?

FWIW it is currently just over an inch in there… much further than the recommended 23/32.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Drill a hole in it and screw in a sheet metal screw, pull out with vice grips
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Thank for the quick reply! That is what I was afraid of. With slightly different oil seals I've done the chisel and twist trick (only cutting the inner section, staying away from the outer metal housing).

45 minutes after reading your post it is out. I didn't help it was 1" deep and had been painted in before that. What a pain.

I'm cooling off the new seal in the freezer (in a bag). After supper I'll try and drift it in. I've assembled a number of different items to try and drift it in there. I wish my 3/4 sockets weren't an hour south… I should have thought of that.

One last question (hopefully) - the old seal was installed spring side "out" (towards the distributor). I"m assuming this is correct?

Snowing here right now… so I'm hoping we're back up and running this evening. Won't need to plow tonight, but perhaps later in the week.

Thank you all again for all your help - I really appreciate it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:06 pm

couchsachraga wrote:One last question (hopefully) - the old seal was installed spring side "out" (towards the distributor). I"m assuming this is correct?
Without seeing the seal, I would guess the seal was installed backwards. Typically the lip of the seal goes towards the oil.

http://www.federalmogul.com/en-US/EIT/N ... pFCEeIy_3A
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Yes as Eugene said the seal is in backwards
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

couchsachraga
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby couchsachraga » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm VERY glad I asked.

That likely explains all the oil in the first place (the seal I took out I believe is just over a year old). I'll keep my fingers crossed that was it… and update this thread either way.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:31 pm

You can cut a block of wood to make a gauge to get the depth right, a 32nd in father want hurt
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Return to “Farmall Cub”