This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Where we're you fifty years ago today ? (Geezers only )

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Where we're you fifty years ago today ? (Geezers only )

Postby Bezirk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:49 pm

I was in the navy stationed at Oceana naval air station. I was working night check and security tightened up a lot in a short time on the base . We were scheduled to fly to Marine corp air station Yuma A Z on the day following the assignation of J FK Our flight was delayed until late morning because of the tightened security and uncertainty of the circumstsnces .
For me it was a very sad, uncertain and frightening time , akin only to 911 in my mind.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Re: Where we're you fifty years ago today ? (Geezers only )

Postby Joe Malinowski » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:55 pm

I was in first grade, our janitor came in and told the teacher, I remember that everything shut down in those days following. My father who worked for the USDA was sent home.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I was a junior in high school. When the announced that he was shot we were all sent to our home rooms. That's where we were when they announced that he was dead. We were sent home and didn't go back the rest of the week. I was watching live TV when Oswald was shot.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 pm

I was in 3rd grade in a 2 room country school and heard about it at the end of the day just before my mom picked us up to take us home. I remember watching the news coverage on black and white TV for the next few days. I also remember watching the funeral days later. Seemed like a big deal to me even as a 3rd grader.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Sophomore in college. 1 PM Industrial Arts course immediately after lunch. Instructor informed us of the assassination.

Shock, but college courses proceeded. Actually back then very few college students had access to TV. The only TV I recall was in the dormitory lounge. It could only pick up one very snow black and white channel. Radio, last year or two I had a radio in the dorm room. Usually listened to the college radio station. Probably couldn't receive anything other than the college and local in town radio station.

Looking back. 50 years. Things have changed, = = = for the better for most parts.

By the way, if you need your manual typewriter or mechanical watch repaired. Contact me. Took courses in both and am proficient. Really - don't bother.

Typing this on a putter with built in spell checker. Wonder where my white out and dictionary went?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Was in a science class at local Junior College. One TV in reception area. Everyone in the building gathered around that TV for the next hour.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Ask me in three days, doctors had TV in delivery room watching funeral when I was born. I guess I missed the geezer cutoff :{_}:

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Got your AARP card yet lil bro???

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 am

I was in PE class in junior high. The PE teacher came into the locker room as we were all getting dressed at the end of the period and told us.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ArtN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby ArtN » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:12 am

4th Grade on Bunker Hill Airforce Base, Indiana (SAC). Announced over the PA and sent home. SAC placed on alert and father gone for a few days. Planes (mostly bombers) flying overhead 24/7. Only remember that happening one other time and that was the Cubian Missle Crisis. Years later talking to my Dad he told me the troops loved JFK, the Brass not so much. Everyone was talking the Russians had him killed at the time.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:15 am

I was 16 in high school at Mansfield, walking to my truck, had just gotten out of Agri and was headed to my work at a filling station. Yes, I remember the tv coverage on black and white. All that was on. I remember things a little different. I remember the news media coverage and them stating that President Kennedy was the second most hated President, only President Lincoln was hated more, again TV commentary, but feelings of the day. There was doubt, and accusations, blaming the Cubans, the Russians, our own Government, Lyndon Johnson, the CIA - everybody but Oswald. No one believed that Oswald or anyone else could accurately shoot the second and third shot, that quickly and accurately out of a bolt action.
History doesn't seem to remember things quite like that, but I do. When Oswald was shot, everybody knew it was to shut him up, then when Ruby started screaming for help in jail and wanting to talk, he fairly suddenly died in jail. We heard about movie cameras and still cameras being confiscated and never returned. Oswald claimed it was not him in the picture with two other guys holding guns, and that the picture of his face was transposed on there. Unheard of in the day, but a common practice now.
We were in the middle of a lot of issues at the time.
I would actually rather remember the situation as the New Media and most other accounts report it now.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:59 am

15 and a sophomore in Biology class, they put the radio news/announcements on the paging system for all to hear. Didn't believe in letting school out--so attendance as usual.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:57 am

Scrivet wrote:Ask me in three days, doctors had TV in delivery room watching funeral when I was born.......
Maybe that explains some things I ave always wondered about you. :lol:

I was a sophomore in high school, don't remember what class though. PA system had a radio built in and principle turned the radio on so it could be heard in class rooms. Most of the students were pretty upset and wished they could do something about it. A couple thought they were tough guys and ran around claiming they did it, and asking what others were going to do about it. For some reason they shut up pretty quickly though.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:28 am

Bezirk wrote:I was in the navy stationed at Oceana naval air station. I was working night check and security tightened up a lot in a short time on the base . We were scheduled to fly to Marine Corp Air Station, Yuma, AZ on the day following the assignation of J FK Our flight was delayed until late morning because of the tightened security and uncertainty of the circumstsnces .
For me it was a very sad, uncertain and frightening time , akin only to 911 in my mind.

Berlin

I was in 11th grade American History class, ironically. :roll:

Bezirk, I was stationed at MCAS, Yuma, but not until six years later.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Driving to the airport to do a little flying. It looks like I'm a little older than the most of you. (73) Vern

Return to “Off Topic”