This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Knowledge

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Astrowing
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78932
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1958 Ford 641
1953 Ford Jubilee
2007 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Knowledge

Postby Astrowing » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 am

I have learned more in the last 2 months than I thought possible. How did folks do this in the old days? Talk to a neighbor that has a similar tractor or someone at the feedstore or the dealer I guess? You just didn't get a bunch of pictures showing the detail you needed and detailed descriptions of some of the procedures that might be just one sentence in the manual. Thanks everyone!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Knowledge

Postby Scrivet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 am

In the old days, aka BI (before internet) is why we have so many of those "wonderful" PO fixes. :lol:

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 am

Well, as I remember things, a lot of folks grew up on small farms, had old trucks and cars they worked on often if they wanted to use them. Learned everything you could from a experience, figuring out how something worked, a neighbor, local mechanic or friend, and would really read the manuals that came with new equipment. Used equipment was normally without manual or instructions. So most usually you had one choice if something broke you needed to use: fix it or do without it: Didn't matter if it was correct, according to todays critics, but what mattered, did it work. A lot of temporary fixes were dragged out to almost become permanent. Bailing wire was a must, but you could probably find it hanging on a fence.
But, I like this forum, the internet, youtube, and craigslist. I love the information that has and is being shared on this forum by so many great folks.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 am

Back in the day, you didn't learn as much as you "figger'd things out."

This is where most farmer fixes came from, and most of the misconceptions and odd notions people have about things.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:54 pm

US military has had maintenance personnel and instruction prior to and since WWI. After each World War there were a lot of trained and experienced returning mechanics.

Old service and technical manuals had excellent theory of operation as well as detailed diagnosis sections.

Where each individual learned his/her mechanical skills is difficult to determine. Everyone will have a different story. Example: My father in-law started working at a Ford dealership when he was 14 years old cleaning parts. Uncle learned from hired hands with mechanical expertise - - - lot of farm hands were very good mechanics. My dad was an Oliver mechanic as well as a farmer.

Edit: My Dad took some type of instruction provided by the US Government after WWII. He received a small stipend for taking the course(s).
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”