This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

purpose of front wheel weights?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

purpose of front wheel weights?

Postby gusbratz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am

The cub is not 4wd; the cub does not usually wheelie up with any of my IH designed implements. (Especially since when in use they are on the ground). I had some on a previous cub and it just made steering a little harder. What were they intended to accomplish?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jsharp1071
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08833
eBay ID: jsharpinnj
Tractors Owned: 1955 FCub
54 grader leveler
Fast Hitch
Platform carrier
Pennington 60'' mower
BF Plow
Johnny Bucket Loader

Re: purpose of front wheel weights?

Postby jsharp1071 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:43 am

I don't know if they really' help a lot, but when you're going up hill, the front end can get very light, especially if you something heavy like a York rake attached. I also think they help a bit with snow plowing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:16 am

the main purpose is to give more side ways traction for steering, especially in soft or worked ground or when you have a rear implement in the air or lifting it. As an example, I have an L28 lift type disk with 200 pounds on the weight box to make it cut better. When it is up, all it takes is just releasing the clutch a little fast (not popping it, just not feathering very much) to bring the front wheels off the ground a little, or if I try to turn quickly the front wheels tend to slide unless slowing down to nearly an idle. Without the front weights it is worse. If all you do is mow and only occasionally do farm work they are not that big a deal, but if you work one seriously they save a lot of wear on brakes (assisting steering, etc).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:26 am

Sometimes with an implement in the ground deep, the front end can get light. Never noticed it as much with a Cub but I guess it can happen.

Anytime you can add weight in the right place you increase pulling power.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

goldencub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01770

Postby goldencub » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 am

I would think the front wheel weights would help, even if just a little bit, to keep the cub upright on side slope work. They add weight down low, which lowers the center of gravity. That said, I'm still pretty careful on side slopes, wheel weights or not. Al D
Maud - 1947 Cub #4364
Everything's better with Golden Retrievers, an old Ford V8 and a Cub!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 am

The reasons already stated pretty well cover it. To add just a bit, they can help a lot when using a blade (either front mounted in snow or mid-mounted doing grading). I don't think they ever made it a requirement, but IH did strongly encourage use of at least one set of front weights on every tractor with Fast-Hitch. A Lo-Boy with Fast-Hitch would be helped with a couple sets.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:01 am

Jim Becker wrote:The reasons already stated pretty well cover it. To add just a bit, they can help a lot when using a blade (either front mounted in snow or mid-mounted doing grading). I don't think they ever made it a requirement, but IH did strongly encourage use of at least one set of front weights on every tractor with Fast-Hitch. A Lo-Boy with Fast-Hitch would be helped with a couple sets.

I agree with Jim. A Lo-Boy with a Fast-Hitch disk and a couple of concrete blocks and no wheel weights is a real handful. Don't ask. :roll:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:16 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54463&hilit=weight

Previous discussion on front wheel weights and adding additional weight to Cub's front end.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:27 am

The blade was already mentioned as one of the implements/attachments that wants to steer the tractor. A rear mounted blade is one of those. While the Cub does not pull a large disc harrow, a tandem disc harrow can really resist be turned through a 90 degree corner. Weights help the front wheels bite into the soil.
But I think that in certain conditions the front weights could increase the possibility of cracking the left front corner of the engine block. :worthy: Edit: that should have been right corner.
Last edited by Bus Driver on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Bus Driver wrote:The blade was already mentioned as one of the implements/attachments that wants to steer the tractor. A rear mounted blade is one of those. While the Cub does not pull a large disc harrow, a tandem disc harrow can really resist be turned through a 90 degree corner. Weights help the front wheels bite into the soil.
But I think that in certain conditions the front weights could increase the possibility of cracking the left front corner of the engine block.

I do not understand your line of thinking on this. I have not seen a lot of cubs with the left front of the block broken!
Front weights are a plus on any working cub , I run 2 sets on the fast hitch cubs that I work on a regular basis. I also have a set on the right side of my wife's mowing cub, just to keep her and the cub up-right :)
Folks try to keep in mind these little tractors are equipment and can hurt you, not just toys
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:17 pm

At the request of his brother I picked up a lowboy with belly mower for Scrivet a while back. As I drove it up the ramp on to the trailer, when the front wheels reached the end of the ramps at the trailer deck, they continued going at the same angle they had been coming up the ramp till the tractor traveled a few more inches and they settled down onto the trailer deck. MY foot was already going for the clutch and I was preparing for a wild ride backwards down the ramps and was wishing it had front weights all at the same time. It came back down before i decided to push the pedal in all they way, thankfully. The trailer was with the nose slightly up the hill, and I had never driven a lowboy before, so I did not realize how easy the front will come up, even with the 59 inch belly mower mounted.. When I loaded the lowboy to take it to Cubarama where his brother surprised him with it i backed it on. I didn't want anymore surprises.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:20 pm

"But I think that in certain conditions the front weights could increase the possibility of cracking the left front corner of the engine block."

I did err in that it should have said "Right" corner. It certainly is the one where breaks are more frequent. It is good that you noticed the goof.

If a front wheel drops into a hole, depression or a ditch, the propelling force to get it out is essentially horizontal while the force holding it in the ditch is vertical. Vectors are involved. It is intuitive for most of us that the heavier weight in the ditch will require will a greater horizontal push. Thus greater strain transmitted to the engine block. Illustrated by the diagrams nearer the bottom of the page at the link below

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/n ... /u2l2a.cfm
Luck favors those who are prepared

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm

I have a 1975 cub with fast hitch that I plow my garden with. I have a LF 1-11 role over plow. without the front set of weights it is difficult to keeping the front wheels on the ground when lifting the plows.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm

There have been many valid uses listed but I think front weights are most effective at seperating you from $125. :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Scrivet wrote:There have been many valid uses listed but I think front weights are most effective at seperating you from $125. :lol:
Had they been on your lowboy they would have made it easier to separate me from the seat. :{_}:

Return to “Farmall Cub”