This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mild performance idea

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13862
Tractors Owned: 154 LoBoy

Recently sold all my Cub Cadets
Circle of Safety: Y

Mild performance idea

Postby FrankenCub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:20 pm

I've had this idea floating around my head for a while. While not looking to make 20 more HP, just a mild increase to help keep the torque constant when coming up on a load. There have been some guys using the small turbo chargers from the Smart cars, on their Cub Cadet diesels and the results were really good. Board out of my mind the other day I sat on the front tire of my 154 looking at the exhaust and intake and it looks like it would be pretty simple to adapt it.
So hows that sound ? Am I nuts ? Do I need a kick in them ? :lol:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Mild performance idea

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:12 pm

The 154's engine is what it is.

Opinion. For the amount of money expended to up grade the 154's C60 engine a couple of horse power, you could come close to buying a nice tractor with more features.
I have an excuse. CRS.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't see the cost as an issue, those used turbos are pretty much a dime a dozen. The market is so flooded with good used ones that size they are cheap. The plumbing would be cheap too if fabbed at home. I'm figurin under $500 total build cost.
Now if I was to buy a new turbo, well than definitely would be better off buying a new and bigger tractor. This is just an idea for thought really, if it would help to stay in the power curve. I'm still working on my loader and need to finish that first.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

If the cost isn't an issue and you won't be terribly disappointed if you don't get the results you hope for, then I'd say go for it. After all, there is a Cubota, a Cub with a V-6, a tricycle Cub, a rat Cub, and others out there.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Blaserman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19938
Tractors Owned: 69 Cub lowboy

Postby Blaserman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:37 pm

I thought about that Idea too.
Here is what I planed on doing to my rebuild of my 154
change Carb
port intake and exhust
polish the head chamber
polish the ports
eletronic ignition.

I figure I can get a little more torque and HP.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:48 pm

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:If the cost isn't an issue and you won't be terribly disappointed if you don't get the results you hope for.
As long as it's not my wife's money (it use to be my money) go for it. You will more than likely get similar results by freshing up the stock engine.

You should consider that before adding a blower to the engine, you should bring the engine up to specifications.

I have previously thought about upping the horsepower of a Cub engine. But looking around, I can find work ready tractors with 2 or 3 times the horsepower and weight of a Cub for the cost of rebuilding and up grading a Cub engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:02 am

Eugene wrote:As long as it's not my wife's money (it use to be my money) go for it. You will more than likely get similar results by freshing up the stock engine.

You should consider that before adding a blower to the engine, you should bring the engine up to specifications.

I have previously thought about upping the horsepower of a Cub engine. But looking around, I can find work ready tractors with 2 or 3 times the horsepower and weight of a Cub for the cost of rebuilding and up grading a Cub engine.

lol...yeah I used to have money at one time :roll: Kinda hard to convince wives that our tractor money is still our tractor money lol. A freshen up would be a good idea too, not really sure how much the compression is down if at all, my guage isn't all that friendly to use unless I've got someone else with me. Part of my reasoning one using such a small turbo from one of those 'not really cars' is because at the 154's engine speed it won't produce too much boost like some of the bigger ones will. A bigger tractor where I live will cost me an easy $3500 for one that will still need work so I'm kinda limited. That and I like the 154's size. Plenty of options in this size yet but for really big money.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 am

Bob McCarty wrote:If the cost isn't an issue and you won't be terribly disappointed if you don't get the results you hope for, then I'd say go for it. After all, there is a Cubota, a Cub with a V-6, a tricycle Cub, a rat Cub, and others out there.

Bob

I think I've seen that Cubota somewhere, maybe a thread here ? A V-6 would be cool if I had a spare 154 to mess with. One of the small Buick V-6's don't take much room. There's a guy not far from me that has a Chevy 4.3 in a Cub Cadet he uses for pulling. That's getting up to the point of breaking driveline parts though.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 am

Blaserman wrote:I thought about that Idea too.
Here is what I planed on doing to my rebuild of my 154
change Carb
port intake and exhust
polish the head chamber
polish the ports
eletronic ignition.

I figure I can get a little more torque and HP.

I haven't looked at the ports on these engines yet to see how they are configured but there is probably some benefit to porting, especially port matching. I wouldn't go to far with polishing the intake as a slightly rougher surface will help keep the mixture atomized. A friend of mine built engines for his drag race car for probably 40 years so I've gotten a lot of tips from him. Not sure how much any of these will really help though with engine speeds under 2000 rpm, but may be some good if there is casting flash that will build up with carbon.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:20 am

ricky racer wrote:Image

:lol: I wonder if that will fit with the deffinition of over rev...to loosely fit the contents of the engine in a brown paper bag :lol:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:20 am

FrankenCub wrote:I haven't looked at the ports on these engines yet to see how they are configured but there is probably some benefit to porting, especially port matching.
On my standard Cub engine, the block and manifold ports are quite rough. There is also a moderate miss match, alignment, between the manifold ports and engine block ports.
I have an excuse. CRS.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:47 am

I would imagine a lot of guys would rather boot me in the head but I think these engine would be much happier with some work on the ports. Getting them close to perfect from the factory will never happen with mass manufacturing but even with cars, I've been into some that the ports were off far enough that I would considder it poor QC or poor design. Not many but a few. From my experience with IH, I wouldn't think about QC, I wouldn't own anything different. With these engines it will be easy to port match and take the obstructions out, and if you've got only a moderate miss match, that's good to hear. IMO flatheads can use all the help they can get to help with efficiency. The little Kohlers even fare well with some careful work.

wrink3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65622
Tractors Owned: 1977 New IH Cub
1977 IH 184

Postby wrink3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:08 pm

The engine is probably easier to upgrade than the clutch. What are your plans for it?

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:43 am

I have heard if you cut a groove from the spark plug hole to the edge of the cyl on a flathead that it channels the flame front to the perimeter of the cylinder to scour the ring groove. This tumbles the mixture and supposedly increases fuel efficiency and power. I have also heard it causes a lot of cracked heads which is why nobody does it. I have always wished I had a spare head lying around to try it with.
I feel like the cub is great on fuel economy and generally I run out of traction before I run out of power (with the exception of the mower deck). If it is not powerful enough I usually need more tractor anyway and get a bigger machine.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”