This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CCC Cub Cadet 782 Rant

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

CCC Cub Cadet 782 Rant

Postby Stanton » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 am

Blew a rear oil seal a few weeks ago (flywheel shaft seal), oil went everywhere. Another forum encouraged me to fix it myself, but I was in the midst of finishing up the McCormick-Deering No. 100 manure spreader project and we're swamped at work, blah, blah, blah...bottom line, didn't have the time.

Took it to a local small engine shop. They replaced the seal, but when I arrived to pick it up, they had just washed it down so water had apparently got into somewhere which prevented it from starting. They worked 20 minutes until if finally started; roughly. I was not impressed.

Got home mowed for a little bit, then stopped to refill with gas. Ran some more, then broke the PTO belt. Ugh! Wouldn't start after that. Tried and tried. Next day, went by the repair shop to ask some questions. They said it might be the coil or condenser; check my connections, etc. Made no offer to look at it...

Came home and paid attention to the condenser connection. Disconnected and reconnected it. It fired up and ran but wouldn't start back up after shutting it down w/o the choke (warm engine). Bought a new condenser and installed. Started right up and runs fine now. Also started up w/o the choke after shutting down. Put on a new Kelvar belt from TSC (5/8"x88" -- could have been an inch longer, IMO, but may stretch a bit; at least it works).

The small engine shop had to disassemble the tractor to remove the engine when they replaced the seal. When I got it home, the side panels didn't fit well and the hood was not adjusted properly and was missing a machine bolt under the front grill frame. Poor finish and follow-through work, IMO.

Probably would have been ahead to just tackle this myself... :roll:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: CCC Cub Cadet 782 Rant

Postby grumpy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:53 pm

We all have those days unfortunately. Chalk it up as a learning experience and keep moving forward. Hope things go better. :beer: :beer: Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: CCC Cub Cadet 782 Rant

Postby gitractorman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 am

Stanton,
I just replaced one of those same engine seals in my 1811 at the hunting camp this spring. Makes a fine mess when that seal lets go!!! I took my time, over a couple of trips out to the camp, and it turned out nice. The hardest part is getting the flywheel off, and cleaning up all the oil. Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but my guess is that yours will blow out again soon, based on how they put the rest of your tractor back together. You HAVE to use Hy-Tac Permatex when you put that seal back in, otherwise the seal will eventaully spin out of the block and blow out again. Unless the shop REALLY knows the KT-17/KT-18 engine, I'll bet they just popped in a new seal and put it back together.

Also, when the engine blows oil everywhere, it really cakes up the cooling fins on the heads. While I had my engine out, I sealed it up with bags and tape, and soaked it down with foaming engine cleaner, then hosed it out. It took 7 cans of cleaner to get all the crud out of the fins. If you don't do this, the heads get way too hot and contribute to the KT-8.5 syndrome.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but keep an eye out for leaking oil!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Cub Cadet”