This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stop Collars on Fast Hitch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01568
Tractors Owned: 58 Loboy
49 Super A

Stop Collars on Fast Hitch

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:33 am

I see numerous posts on the use and non-use and misuse of stop collars. I think I even posted something about a year ago when I snapped the lift arm on my Lo Boy and noticed the stop collar was cracked. I had some responses questioning my use of the stop collar to begin with. Apparently I was misusing mine. I never replaced it and everything has been fine. I have a super that I put a fast hitch on it and the stop collar that came with it is destroyed. (On a side note I have also seen posts about plowing with a 194 fast hitch plow on a 100,130,140 and Super A and the lack of depth and angle but of course I had to try it myself. I was able to turn over the sod but that was it. It was at this moment when I realized that perhaps properly using a stop collar would just about allow me to get by with what I have, that being a single bottom fast hitch plow. I also need to know more about the two bottom plows, roll over plows, etc but first this). I see no replacement part for the stop collar. If I'm wrong someone please guide me. I've searched some of the usually places but can't find them. I've decided to replace them both. What are the specs outer diameter of the lift rod on a 100 through Super A, A Lo Boy and regular cub? At a quick glance the Super A looks to be 1"&1/8 or 1"&3/16. Has anyone found a replacement part?
Johnny
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stop Collars on Fast Hitch

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm having a hard time envisioning this stop collar. Where is it supposed to be installed?

The only one I can think of is on the lift rod itself. It should only be tightened against the trunnion at the rear rockshaft if down pressure is required. For plowing, it should be loosened and slid up away from the trunnion to allow the plow to come out of the ground if necessary.

Not sure why you don't think you have depth control or angle on a Super A/100/130/140 style fast hitch. There is supposed to be a rod connecting the front of the bail to the right-hand rockshaft on the tractor's touch control. It moves the bail up and down like the depth control on a Cub, but it does it hydraulically.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Matt,
I'm pretty sure the one just in front of the trunnion in this TM Tractor photo is what Johnny is asking about.

As you correctly pointed out this should not be tightened down when using the moldboard plow. I've thought about using it when I use my IH100 Grader Blade but decided the risk of breaking the lift rod..or more, was not worth it.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:32 am

There is a risk using it. Mowers, plows, harrows, ect need to 'float' or there will be huge pressure on the rod/TC when an obstruction or hump. That's a disadvantage if you want any down pressure, with a York rake for example, but I added weight when using mine to compensate.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 am

Johnny Lindqvist wrote:I see numerous posts on the use and non-use and misuse of stop collars. I think I even posted something about a year ago when I snapped the lift arm on my Lo Boy and noticed the stop collar was cracked. I had some responses questioning my use of the stop collar to begin with. Apparently I was misusing mine. I never replaced it and everything has been fine. I have a super that I put a fast hitch on it and the stop collar that came with it is destroyed. (On a side note I have also seen posts about plowing with a 194 fast hitch plow on a 100,130,140 and Super A and the lack of depth and angle but of course I had to try it myself. I was able to turn over the sod but that was it. It was at this moment when I realized that perhaps properly using a stop collar would just about allow me to get by with what I have, that being a single bottom fast hitch plow. I also need to know more about the two bottom plows, roll over plows, etc but first this). I see no replacement part for the stop collar. If I'm wrong someone please guide me. I've searched some of the usually places but can't find them. I've decided to replace them both. What are the specs outer diameter of the lift rod on a 100 through Super A, A Lo Boy and regular cub? At a quick glance the Super A looks to be 1"&1/8 or 1"&3/16. Has anyone found a replacement part?
Johnny

Nothing to add about your question, Johnny, but are you ready to get that post hole digger this weekend at Cecil's and put it on your Super A? :thumbsup:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 am

Denny Clayton wrote:... but are you ready to get that post hole digger this weekend at Cecil's and put it on your Super A? :thumbsup:

Denny,

Can't speak for Johnny, however, we have exchanged PMs and are looking forward to the exchange. The post hole digger will be loaded up by tomorrow for the trip to Cecil's.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 am

Denny & Bill,
I'm extremely excited about this weekend. I can't wait to the post hole digger on there. I have a huge project for it. So it's going to get plenty of use starting almost immediately.

In regards to the stop collar and the plowing. Matt, Peter is right (swedish flag and all) that is exactly what I am refering to. Both stop collars on both fast hitches I have are wasted. One I cracked doing exactly what Peter said not to do the other was wrecked when I got it. After I cracked the one and realised my mistake I didn't think I'd ever need one again. I put the 194 plow on the super a for the first time complete with the draft link hooking up to the front hydraulics. I wasn't able to turn over more than a two inch furrow and if the ground dipped it would come up and skid right across it. I believe I had the front hydraulics all the way down to get the most aggressive angle and the rear hydraulics dropped all the way with the leveler arm extended down as far as I could get it. It seems I read a post about the 194 plow not working on a super a - 140 somewhere here but I had to try it for myself. Needless it didn't work well so I think I need to return to the stop collar and place it limits how much the plow can come up. With out the collar there is nothing stopping it.
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Peter, like BW says a little weight helps a lot! I have two pieces of 2X8X8 steel affixed to the back of my 100 blade.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Johnny Lindqvist wrote:I wasn't able to turn over more than a two inch furrow and if the ground dipped it would come up and skid right across it.

I have a manual depth lever, so I don't know if it's the same or not, but I was definitely having the same problem until I realized that the draft link pin wasn't set to the lowest hole. once I fixed that it would actually go TOO deep, so I had to back off on the lever most of the time. Also If your plow's point is worn it won't want to "suck" down into the dirt like it should. I've been trying to find a source for new points/shares but haven't found anything yet.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I think it needs to float, unless you are cultivating, then the springs on the rear will allow for movement if you snag something. If there was a sliding collar on the non fasthitch cubs there would not be all those bent rods from the touch control to the rockshaft.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Not a good idea to use the stop collar to push the plow down. It will just end up broken like the others.

Either the plow's got a bad point, or your depth control isn't going low enough. You should be able to just about touch the ground with the fast hitch bail when the tractor is in a 6" deep furrow.

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 am

I'll take a look at the draft link again and see if it can be affixed any other way but I don't think it does. I'm definitely not getting low enough or the angle it needs. At my lowest point with the angle pointed on the front of the plow down as far as it goes the front of the plow still touches after the rear. I know where there is a two way near by and if this solves my problems I'd go buy it but perhaps I just end up with the same problem.
Johnny Lindquist

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:15 am

Point is almost like new.
Johnny Lindquist

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:41 am

Johnny Lindqvist wrote:At my lowest point with the angle pointed on the front of the plow down as far as it goes the front of the plow still touches after the rear.

In that case, you won't get the plow in the ground no matter how much weight or down force you put on it.

Clearly something isn't right or something is not set as you describe it. Are you trying to use a Cub-194 rather than one for a Super A or 140? Take a lot of pictures from all angles and post them. Otherwise the rest of us are just guessing.

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 am

Hey Jim,

Yes it is the cub 194 plow and not the proper one for the super a. I will try to take some pictures. I just gave it another go with no progress. The plow is hanging so low I have the nut on the back of the lift rod back as far as I can put it to the cotter pin, took the spacer so the spring is resting right on the nut. I put the level on the back of the fast hitch almost all the way up which gives me the most down ward motion to the point on the front of the plow. Front hydraulics all the way down raises the back of the plow. The best I can do is have the entire plow front to back hit the ground at the same time. But when I drop it all it does is rake the dirt. There is plenty of play for it to suck in but it wont.
Johnny Lindquist

Return to “Farmall Cub”