This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Information about 47 Farmall A's

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
crackerjack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Information about 47 Farmall A's

Postby crackerjack » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:39 am

Hi,
I've got a chance to obtain a 47 A (not super) with spare parts, that's had a rebuild about 4 or 5 years ago by the looks of it.
She's a hand crank, 6V variety, good straight body, cranks over, she's been sitting in the guy's shed and he want's to trade her up to add funds to his 45 clipper bus restoration, his asking 1500AUD.

My question IS... are the 47's adaptable for alot of conversions, I know the early A's (early 40's) didn't have the space or were designed for updated conversions.
OR
Should I wait and see if I can pick up an Super H or Super C for abit more money ???

Dad's got about 15 tractors on his farm (mostly collectables) so I wanted something of my own to add to the "pile of treasure"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Information about 47 Farmall A's

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 am

In my opinion it is over priced. If it were in top notch condition, and had a working pneumatic lift (exhaust lift) it would be worth that, but as you described, only about 700 to 800. A super A with lift would be close to that, as well as a C or super C, or a super H. Note, main difference between C and Super C was bigger engine and disk brakes. Both had the touch control with is a live system. H had Lift All hydraulics which is a belly mounted pump that is run off the transmission, and super H had the pump driven from the distributor drive, which gave it live hydraulics. None of the tractor I mentioned offer live pto.

Note, my statement is based on US prices and availability. You did not state where you live, but by the term AUD, I assume you may be in Australia? If so my ideas of price are not of much help. If the one you are looking at is easily adapted to a touch control it will have a flat spot on top the bell housing for the lift unit to mount and a blank plate on the right side of the engine on the rear of the front flange
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 am

John's comments on price are good generalities in the US, may not apply too closely in your part of the world.

From your original post, it isn't clear what types of "conversions" you have in mind. You say it is hand crank. If you are thinking of adding a starter or doing other electrical changes, they are fairly easy and inexpensive. If you are thinking of adding Touch-Control hydraulics or other major changes of that sort, best forget it and keep looking for a later tractor.

You also mention Super C or Super H as alternatives. If you are looking for a tractor to use, they aren't in the same league, makes the conversions question even less clear. If you are looking for a tractor to collect, work on etc, the model selection doesn't really matter. But then, the conversions shouldn't matter either.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:25 pm

crackerjack wrote:Tasmainia.
Don't know if the asking price for the A is out of line.

Edit: If tractor is going to be a work tractor, what equipment, attachments, are locally available? Living in Midwest USA, lots of towed implements that would work on the A, are available at reasonable prices.
I have an excuse. CRS.

crackerjack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby crackerjack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:29 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Note, my statement is based on US prices and availability. You did not state where you live, but by the term AUD, I assume you may be in Australia? If

I live in Australia, my father thinks it's an ok price for that, I've been having alook around in the national classifieds at the prices of farmall's and it seems that's the market price for them in Aus, I'll post some links to some today.

I don't want it as a real working horse, just something I can take out on tractor treks and play around with,have the kids ride around on it, maybe do some mowing and keep as a 'treasure'.

My other option is actions, which you can really find some diamonds in the ruff if you're patient enough.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:02 am

For those uses, a Farmall A will be fine, with one question. How much speed do you need to keep up on your treks? The A is barely good for 10 mph. With some minor tweaks, it will do about 12 (maybe 18-20 kph).

crackerjack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby crackerjack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Enough speed to keep up with a fergy TE20

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 pm

crackerjack wrote:Enough speed to keep up with a fergy TE20

Probably will do that by tweaking the governor.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”