This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Howard questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Howard questions

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm

I used the AC orange oops, JI Case Flambeau Red, on mine, is was the closest match I could find to the original colors I found under the dirt between the panels under the bottom. I have found that my tiller is so old and worn that even after rebuilding it I had problems with leaks, so I changed from the 90wt oil to Series 00 grease, which is specified for the gear boxes of many disc mowers and also for many chain drive tillers.

As to getting decals made, check the local yellow pages for anyone that makes graphics for trucks, t'shirts, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ToddW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:24 pm

I have the same leaking problem from gearbox John that you describe. I put cornhead grease in my Ford jubilee steering box and it worked wonders. I think I will try it in the howard gearbox now

"Corn Head Grease
Thins to gear oil when working; thickens to grease when resting.
Factory fill for all John Deere corn heads"

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43523
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 am

Mine most likely will never sit in a museum. Or close to one that does. My main concern is the durability of the paint under working conditions. I enjoy shiney but it doesn't always stay that way when you use it regularly. My 47 is a great example. PO shot some type of "automotive" paint and never clear coated it. Not sure the year he painted it but it is very faded, almost to a pink color. One thread said valspar hardener works well. I was told at one time to always buy paint for the tractors from the IH dealer. Its costly but won't fade in direct sun as much and will withstand the occasional gas and oil oops. My plans are to use this tiller for as long as I'm alive. I'm not planting a 50 acre garden but we have been known to do several 1-2 acre plots every year.

I am having a great time doing this project. On to the fab work then paint. I'm hoping amongst all the other projects and family commitments I can get one of the 6 tractors I have in the barn here done. Thanks for the paint info and tips. Next week if all goes well we will be shooting paint.

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 am

I'll give the AC orange a shot. Reading in the other threads I'm going to try the hardner. I'll let you guys know after its shot. Fab work is next. Hope next week all that will be done and I can start the paint. Thanks. Also I am having a blast doing this project. I really didn't want to get rid of my older tractors and buy a new compact. Takes a bit longer but that's why I have a few of them around.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:16 pm

I just corrected my earlier statement. I hate being forgetful. :x The color I found that was the closest match (found between the plate around the tines and the main housing) was JI Case Flambeau Red, which in spite of the name is an orange, not a red.

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Where would I come by that paint? Is JI the manufacturer? :thanx:

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 am

Anywhere farm type store that sells tractor paint should have it. I think I also saw some at the IH dealer the last time I was there. I just figured that was because of the Case and IH merger many years ago, and "IH" now also having some Case parts. JI Case is the founder of the Case company, Jerome Increase Case. Always thought Jerome was unusual for early 1800's but what where did momma come up with Increase as a middle name?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:34 am

What I used is Van Sickle brand, and it as well as Valspar are available in most any place that sells farm implement paints. Just ask for Case Flambeau Red.

Return to “Farmall Cub”