This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

couple things a cub can pull

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

couple things a cub can pull

Postby Groove Critter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:59 pm

We went for another country drive and stumbled upon these items. Not sure what the large contraption is and I figured forum members would have a quick answer on this one.

I picked up the (wagon type) 4 wheeled restore winter project. Not sure exactly what it is from either -maybe a hay wagon or something else ..another item for our expert forum members to comment on please?

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
20131010_093347.jpg
20131010_093347.jpg (489.17 KiB) Viewed 582 times
20131010_093554.jpg
20131010_093554.jpg (345.48 KiB) Viewed 582 times
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: couple things a cub can pull

Postby v w » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm

The first picture is a forage cutter. It could be used for filling a silo or after the corn was husked from the shock the stalks gathered and cut. Animals would eat some but some was merely used for bedding. . Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Running gears. We use to have a hay rack set on 4 each 55 gallon barrels and 4 more 55 gallon barrels on the opposite side with space to drive tractor between barrels. Remove the grain box from the running gears and move to empty barrels. Move as in manually pick up the box or rack, then move hay rack to running gears.

What every you wanted to mount on the running gears - get's mounted.

Edit. That was the short version on changing boxes/equipment on running gears. Frequently the process would proceed through changing 4 or 5 boxes to a different style container. Basically, just depended on what was needed for the harvest season.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 am

Very interesting. Thanks for the descriptions. It sounds like this old gear was pretty versatile in function. I imagine that the hay rack or grain box would sit with clearance above the wheels for turning. I guess there must have been 4 pockets / receiving voids on the underside of each respective item i.e. grain box, hay rack etc.

The one back right corner is missing on the gear.

The wood part in the middle looks to operate with movement seen on a swinging draw bar; this is in addition to the pivoting / turning front end. Also, the wood's vertical clearance to the iron part probably allows some twist for uneven ground travel too.

I am considering just updating all of the wood parts and making this a permanent hay wagon; any suggestions on the best approach are much appreciated?

I could make a hay wagon top with 4 receiving holes at the corners. It is flat ground where I am here.

The wood is so old I am not sure if it is pine or hardwood?
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 am

Groove Critter wrote:I could make a hay wagon top with 4 receiving holes at the corners.
The main support beams of the box or rack fit inside the corner posts. This kept the box or rack from sliding side ways. A couple of cleats were fastened perpendicular to the main support beams. The cleats set over the axles, keeping the box or rack from sliding forward or backward. Weight of the box or rack kept it in place.

Front to rear wheel spacing is probably adjustable.

If you are planning on hauling people, you will probably need to fasten the rack to the gear. One thing to upset a load of hay, nothing compared to people. When in use in it's previous life, the gear probably only moved at 2 or 3 mile per hour.

Thanks for the photos. Brought back memories.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43523
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:26 am

I have running gear similar to that. Be careful with the iron. Most of my bolts were rusted badly and broke. A good soaking in pb blaster and removing them by hand and not pneumatics is what worked for me. At least the ones that weren't broke. :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”