This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New member needs help

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47362

New member needs help

Postby Acewingman89 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:36 pm

I just acquired my late grandfathers 184.

I know there are a few threads asking about the starter issue but none that are the same as mine

I bought a brand new batter for it and all the starter does is hum nothing else.

What should I do to get it to start?

Thanks in advance

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: New member needs help

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Ace, since you had 2 posts that basically said the same thing I deleted one of them. Assuming by your post that this did not suddenly happen and that the tractor has bee setting a while, I would suspect that the engine may be stuck. Try turning the engine by hand, either using the fan or reaching in through the hole with a small pry bar where the starter is located on a C60 engine (right side of flywheel housing on the front just below the oil filter housing. If it is stuck, remove the spark plugs and put a dose of penetrating oil in each cylinder. Note, the spark plug holes are offset toward the valve side, you you will need to squirt the oil toward the center to get it to the rings, in addition to straight down toward the valves. Let it set a couple days to soak in and try turning it again.

If the engine is not stuck you need a voltmeter to verify the starter is getting sufficient voltage when trying to turn the engine.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Acewingman89 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Ya I was going to delete one just hadn't done it yet so thank you.

The 184 has set a while and I never had the chance to ask my grandfather what the issue was. I do remember however that the starter issue has been present for a while just never was able to get it fixed. I will swing by there in the morning and see what I can figure out and I'll post an update in the morning

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:19 am

Congratulations on keeping the 184 in the family. Welcome to the forum.
Before you go to replacing parts or rebuilding starters, check the easy stuff.

Might not hurt to remove the battery cables from the battery posts and clean them with a wire brush.
While the battery is disconnected, also clean the cable connection on the starter. Connections should be clean and bright. During Reassembly, apply a dab of DiElectric grease. You can find this stuff at nearly any auto parts store.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Permatex-33-oz-9-355-g-dielectric-Tune-Up-grease/_/N-25ap?itemIdentifier=125419_0_0_
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Acewingman89 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:03 am

I was informed yesterday that my grandfather use to push on the flywheel to get the mower to start.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:49 am

Acewingman89 wrote:I was informed yesterday that my grandfather use to push on the flywheel to get the mower to start.
Couple of thoughts. Flywheel ring gear missing some teeth - - or weakness or fault(s) in starter electrical wiring or the starter itself.

Acewingman89 wrote:I bought a brand new battery for it and all the starter does is hum nothing else.

What should I do to get it to start?
Could be engine stuck or starter stuck/engaged in flywheel.

Easy check. Tractor in 3rd gear, ignition off, rock tractor backward and then forward. If starter stuck in flywheel ring gear, rocking the tractor will normally release the starter. If starter stuck in ring gear you may have to loosen (as in preparing to remove) the starter.

If starter not stuck in ring gear, the rocking action will tell you if the engine is stuck.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Acewingman89 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 am

Anyone know where I can get a repair manual for the 184 on digits? (Preferably free lol)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 am

Acewingman89 wrote:Anyone know where I can get a repair manual for the 184 on digits? (Preferably free lol)
Top of page under manuals. I think you will find most of the information needed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:11 am

Acewingman89 wrote:Anyone know where I can get a repair manual for the 184 on digits? (Preferably free lol)

IH-50 2004 Edition Complete Shop Manual

There are a lot of resources available to our members and I always strongly encourage all new members to become familiar with those resources from the gitgo.. simply follow the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Acewingman89 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:55 am

Just wanted to give an update. Went over and installed the new battery and started trouble shooting. Turns out the belt was loose and the pulley for the starter/generator was simply just turning and every now and then catching the belt. After we tightened the belt and let it sit for a few minutes, the baby started right up and purrrrs like a kitten.

Now to fix the annoying clicking that is coming from the pto drive.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Would you please clarify the tractor model?
The 184 does not have a starter/generator with a belt. It has an Alternator and a gear driven starter.
The 154 and the 185 have a starter/generator with a belt.

Glad you were able to get the tractor turning over.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Acewingman89 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 pm

It is a 184. Sorry for some reason I thought it had a generator on it.

I'm still learning about the 184 even tho I grew up around it.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 am

If it is a 184, then it will have a gear drive starter that engages with the flywheel.
The bendix (small gear on the starter) is either not moving toward the flywheel (penetrating lube may help) or the flywheel ring gear has worn down in some places.
You might want to replace the bendix on the starter to begin with just to make sure that it isn't the bendix that is worn. Some people turn the bendix gear around and use the other side of the bendix that has fresh teeth.

There are a couple "normal" places where an engine favors to stop at when shut off. These are the places where the ring gear wears down first. It is just a roll of the dice as to whether the engine will stop in the worn area. Here are 3 options.
1) You can live with the issue by rotating the engine a few teeth by hand using something like a screwdriver on the flywheel. (this is an inconvenient pain)
2) The ring gear can be rotated around the flywheel or flipped over using some heat so that the worn teeth are in a place where the engine rarely stops. This is cheaper, but you might still have to remove the flywheel and may end up with the same problem occasionally.
3) The ring gear can be replaced.

This thread is about another tractor, but lots of good information about ring gear work.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44819&hilit=replace+ring+gear
Last edited by outdoors4evr on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Acewingman89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Acewingman89 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 am

For right now I think I'm going to just hope and pray it continues to start on its own just fine. It is getting colder here in Indiana so I doubt I will use it much the rest of this year.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 am

Acewingman89 wrote:Turns out the belt was loose and the pulley for the starter/generator was simply just turning and every now and then catching the belt.
Doesn't sound like the tractor is a 184. But then some one could have installed a starter/generator.
outdoors4evr wrote: The 154 and the 185 have a starter/generator with a belt.

outdoors4evr wrote:There are a couple "normal" places where an engine favors to stop at when shut off.
1) You can live with the issue by rotating the engine a few teeth by hand using something like a screwdriver on the flywheel. (this is an inconvenient pain)
184. Ignition off, tractor out of gear you can easily rotate the tractors engine by rotating the fan. Or with ignition off, tractor in 3rd gear, rock the tractor forward a bit. Either action will move the engine crankshaft/flywheel ring gear from it's position when engine stopped.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”