This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast Idle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44880

Fast Idle

Postby 357cyrus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

Ever since I got my 2nd cub, I noticed that at low throttle, when sitting in neutral, engine speed slowly picks up. After about 5-10 seconds it sounds like i parked it about it 3/4 throttle. I adjusted the idle screw on the carburetor like the manual said. Seemed to help a little but still having the issue unless the throttle is set to absolute lowest setting. Any advice?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fast Idle

Postby Hengy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 am

Sounds like you have some slop in your governor system. With the engine off, see if you can move the rockshaft that connects to the carburetor back and forth with little resistance. If so, it is time to clean up some of the sloppiness in the system. Chief areas are where the crossing rockshaft goes into the collar and the holes that the spring attached to on the top of the governor unit.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44880

Re: Fast Idle

Postby 357cyrus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Checked that this morning, and it did seem to have a little play in the rockshaft. I lengthened it maybe a quarter turn, and I believe the problem is fixed, but didn't have a lot of time to play around with it. Thanks!

Return to “Farmall Cub”