This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planning: Easy Start for Winter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Planning: Easy Start for Winter

Postby DickB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am

Yesterday put the heater element for water into the water inlet elbow with the heater being sideways for ease of water flow. All bolted and cinched down. Dumped about 2 gals. of old and yukky looking coolant (saved for recycle guys...I hope they take it), and refilled. My book says the Cub takes 9 3/4 qts. I put in 2 gals. with a bit coming out of the overflow tube. Washed down ground so cat won't be tempted to lick that poisonous sweet smelling stuff. Replaced those old hose clamps with stainless steel hose clamps because I wasn't too sure the old clamps would do the job...but I've saved them because the look kind of interesting--anyone reuse them?--I'd like to maybe reuse them someday.

Now I want to soon plug the heater element into the barn electrical circuit and check for heating potential. At the 2 gal. +/- level, I cannot see any fluid at the refill cap, and I used to always think that I had to see something there to make sure it wasn't running out of fluid. What do you guys do about that? Then I want to plug in, check water temp. at, I guess, the refill cap every hour just to see if it is heating. Would be better to measure temp. on engine block, but not sure how to do that. Ideas? And, is there a usual, optimal operating temp. for the water?

I'm guessing the snow plow will go on soon.

DickB

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Re: Planning: Easy Start for Winter

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 am

On my cub, the water level stays about the top of the fins. If I fill it all the way to the top of the tank, it will puke out what it doesn't want, and maintain the level which is at the top of the fins. It doesn,t run hot. Than is just mine.

Billy

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

Water just needs to be above the top of the radiator tubes. Much more than that it will come out overflow when the engine reaches operating temperature. You did not state whether your heater has a thermostat, so i would suggest just plugging it in a couple hours before use, or putting it on a timer. even if it is stored inside, an old blanket thrown over it will make it warm up quicker due to restricting air circulation. Normal operating temperature when working is around 200 degrees at the water outlet. Many people when using their cubs in cold weather cover part of the radiator ( about half) to keep engine at right operating temperature. To check temperature the infrared (IR) thermometers can be bough at many places pretty reasonable, but you need to remember, they only read surface temperature. If a fan is blowing over the surface, the reading will be lower than internally.

Here is a link to the ones Harbor Freight sells, but you can find them at many auto parts and hardware stores.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... ermometers

One note, if it is tuned properly it should start easily at least down to 15 or 20 degrees. Probably lower than that, but below 20 degrees I do not worry much about starting my cubs, being an old retired geezer I hatch the stove. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:58 am

If you can see coolant by shining a light in and looking at an angle past the inlet tube on top, you've got plenty.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:14 am

If the Cub starts easily now you really shouldn't have any problems in the very cold weather. Surely it will help to have a warm engine, but more important is a well tuned Cub and a decent charge on the battery.

This one started on the first try, but I had to chip the ice out of the throttle linkage on the carb to keep it running.... (best to keep them under cover!!)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”