This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission problems on '48

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Transmission problems on '48

Postby farmergiffIV » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:49 pm

I got motor on the 48 cub that I recently acquired to run but now I can't seam to get the transmission to shift out of neutral.

The shifter stick won't actually go into the gear location, no matter how hard I tried wiggling and pushing (with the clutch depress), I tried R, 1, 2, 3... nothing from either. The PTO seems to engage with relative ease. The clutch pedal does work as far as I can tell, but it acts kinda slowly, I can hear what sounds like maybe the drive shaft or something wind down and then you can engage the PTO, if you depress the clutch and try to engage the PTO lever immediately after some gear grinding will result... need to do some work in there, but not sure where to start.

Also, this tractor was probably sitting outside for the last 5 years.(if not more) I just drained the trany fluid and found mostly water inside (which scared me!) I filled it up with SAE 90. What should I try?
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission problems on '48

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:08 pm

It sounds like you may have a loose or broken shifter fork. You'll need to take the top of the shifter off and see if either fork wiggles on it's shaft or is cracked or broken. The tranny should only have 3 1/2 PINTS of gear lube, so if you did fill it, you'll need to drain out the excess or risk having it leak through the seals and soak your brake bands. Here's a picture from a post by Don McCombs that shows the forks lined up in the neutral position:

Bob

Also, you can see a drip hole on the right side of the picture in the red depression. There is one on both sides that needs to be cleaned out. The bearing on either side is lubed by oil splashing into that depression and dripping on the bearing.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Do you know which manual or perhaps a link that could guide me on this step?
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:27 am

If I read your post correctly, the shifter will not move rather than it moving and nothing happening. If it does not move at all, the shifter lever may be rusted in place. If it moves a little, but not enough to engage, the the rails may be rusty, or even the gears rusted to the shafts from setting full of water. First thing to do is pull the cover and inspect. Having to wait a little to put the pto or transmission either one in gear is normal, that is a pretty long shaft with gears mounted on it that has to stop spinning. Normally just 2 or 3 seconds, but it may be stiff from setting, and need longer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

stevey30
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28110

Postby stevey30 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Had the same problem with my Cub,it sat for about 25 years,I took the shifter off an lubed the shafts and gears with 90 w gear oil,let it sit about 10 minutes and then slowly started to move everything back and forth by hand,it took about 5 minutes to get the 2nd 3rd gears to start moving and about 10-15 for 1st and rev side.Take your time and do not force them to move,I only used my hands,no tools(prybar,screwdrivers)just keep wiggling back and forth,I freed one side at a time and it is working good now,don't worry about the extra gear lube,as soon as you get them shifting freely drain gear oil and flush then fill back to correct level.

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 pm

stevey30 wrote:Had the same problem with my Cub,it sat for about 25 years,I took the shifter off an lubed the shafts and gears with 90 w gear oil,let it sit about 10 minutes and then slowly started to move everything back and forth by hand,it took about 5 minutes to get the 2nd 3rd gears to start moving and about 10-15 for 1st and rev side.Take your time and do not force them to move,I only used my hands,no tools(prybar,screwdrivers)just keep wiggling back and forth,I freed one side at a time and it is working good now,don't worry about the extra gear lube,as soon as you get them shifting freely drain gear oil and flush then fill back to correct level.

Hey Stevey30, that is good news, I am going in tomorrow I'll post back up afterwards. :thanx:
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:11 pm

Took off the cover and found the forks to be fine. Most of the gears look to be in pretty good shape except for some rust here and there. Went ahead and lubed up the gears from the top and drizzled around the sides with 90. Let it sit for a couple hours... After the first few minutes of trying to push and pull with no results I used quite a bit of liquid wrench all over the gears. Some movement finally gave way but no more than 1/8 on either forks. So I tapped gently with a hammer and a wood stick to loosen a bit more and I think I got 3rd gear freed up, but the others were pretty stubborn. After about 30 minutes of work I deffinatly made progress on some gear movement. I will go back tomorrow hopefully the juices will work there way in overnight and help to loosen things up! Thanks again!
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Drove the tractor around today. Got 1,2,3 available, I need to do some more elbow grease on r but at least I can park the tractor in the garage now and its out of the rain for the first time in many years! Yeehaa Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 pm

farmergiffIV wrote:........... I need to do some more elbow grease on r but at least I can park the tractor in the garage now ......................
Hope you have a drive thru garage or you get "R" fixed real quick :lol:

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 am

Scrivet wrote:
farmergiffIV wrote:........... I need to do some more elbow grease on r but at least I can park the tractor in the garage now ......................
Hope you have a drive thru garage or you get "R" fixed real quick :lol:

:lol: Yeah, I guess I was getting ahead of myself by pulling straight into the tractor port today! Luckily I got reverse free'd up pretty quickly. What do you all do with kerosene after you flush a motor, its a pretty narly Gear oil and rust smoothie! I was thinking of using it to start a big bon fire but I didn't know if there were other nifty ideas you'll had?
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:21 am

I need to replace the gasket for the top of the shifter plate that connects to the tractor. Is that called the transmission top cover gasket? I found one here at http://farmallparts.com/products/?view= ... t_id=26396, I didn't see any other places that carried them...
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 am

TM is one of our GREAT sponsors: http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/376fp.htm Better price, too.

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 am

farmergiffIV wrote:I was thinking of using it to start a big bon fire but I didn't know if there were other nifty ideas you'll had?

That's exactly what I use it for, I have a brush pile every year from the garden, pruning, and fallen limbs, so collect it all year and use the kerosene/oil mix to get it going. You could also use it to coat down rusty implements that are going to be setting for a while.
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:34 am

farmergiffIV wrote:What do you all do with kerosene after you flush a motor, its a pretty narly Gear oil and rust smoothie! I was thinking of using it to start a big bon fire but I didn't know if there were other nifty ideas you'll had?

If it isn't too nasty, you can filter out the particles (funnel and coffee filter) and continue to use it to wash parts. What you have is probably beyond that.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:01 am

With mineral spirits, I let it settle in a can and the top get surprisingly clear. I then pour it off carefully and use it for washing as Jim suggested.

Return to “Farmall Cub”