This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub just went up in value - a bit

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Farmall Cub just went up in value - a bit

Postby Groove Critter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I Cleaned up the starter to paint. On the end of it I discovered what now looks like a gold coin. :o
20131002_094103.jpg
20131002_094103.jpg (282.43 KiB) Viewed 752 times

20131002_094253.jpg
20131002_094253.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 752 times

20131002_161724.jpg
20131002_161724.jpg (110.66 KiB) Viewed 752 times

20131002_161743.jpg
20131002_161743.jpg (128.74 KiB) Viewed 752 times

I guess it is like some of the other guys said, once you get started painting....
Not sure how much I like it but it was fun.
Dave
Ps I was inspired by catandmouse color scheme
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub just went up in value - a bit

Postby Barnyard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:54 am

Dave, the plug that goes there probably cost a lot more than the dime the PO ended up using. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 am

The end cap can fall and go missing fairly easy. The quick dime replacement qualifies for the tip of week.

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks for the input guys.
Barnyard is right it probably is cheaper; but now it is plated with fools gold :lol:
-and Challenger, I cannot take credit for this good idea.

It all started when it (the starter) wouldn't start. I noticed a little oil, thought it was odd but cleaned it up and took it into the shop.

The first time I took it in they said it needed rebuilt. the second time they said OHhh, this should be converted to 12V ; I told them it worked fine as 6 volts -they looked at me funny and disagreed.

They converted it to 12 volts. A month later, starter stopped again. I checked by removing wires and jumped it from battery- nothing. I removed it from the tractor, set it on it's side on a little table - decided to bench test it, it worked fine; put it back on; scratched my head and cut the grass.

A couple weeks later, NO GO again, this time it would not work on the bench either; I thought it was a bad switch that they replaced; he bench tested it and it worked fine; I said that is exactly what I expected; he looked at me kinda funny. His assistant opened it up, took off the duct tape he sealed under the band and said "I didn't put this oil in here".

The guy probably noticed the oil in the starter before and thought he would have done me a favor by putting duct tape under the metal band -keep the oil OUT -right? NOPE, it helped keep the oil in.

Long story/ short -rear main seal leak (I THINK) is slowly allowing oil to coat the bell housing (via fly wheel oil bath) and drip a little bit into the starter's open side. Over time, after weeks, -"SHE's A NO WORK-A!" (Italian accent)

Aside from a tractor split (no stands here yet), I wonder if it might work by drilling a small weep hole below that starter opening to let it drain back to the bell housing? - where it belongs :lol:

Finally, I should have taken it apart myself in the first place, I would have better understood the problem from the start and saved myself much grief and headaches. In the least, I have learned from this experience and I hope others might benefit from this info too.
Dave
The glass is half full

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Groove Critter wrote:...
Aside from a tractor split (no stands here yet), ...

You were within two feet of a pair yesterday afternoon. :) :) Certainly can use them for your split when needed. :) :) Oh, I have reworked rear seal retainers in stock.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:15 pm

I had a situation with my starter motor. The insulation material that usually goes under the band that closes the openings over the brushes was long missing. The bolt that holds the brush cover band in-place loosened and the band walked-around to where it rubbed against the tractor/hydraulic casting. Well, it rubbed the paint away which grounded the starter via the internal brush wiring. I had no starter motor spin at all. This short to ground was really hard to find too...it took me a whole Saturday afternoon and lots of "try this and test that"...I practically had my whole ignition system dissected.
Ironlegs John

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Bill, I would really appreciate the use of your splitting stands so I can cut to the chase on this issue :{_}: . I did happen to purchase an improved RMS from TST a couple months back; thank you!

Ironlegs John, thanks for sharing. I never saw the insulation material that you spoke of.

It would be nice to hear a few other starter stories to help out those with future unforseen starter challenges.
Dave
The glass is half full

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:40 am

Dave:

Your experience is exactly the reason why I take my generators and starters to my local AC Delco Authorized Service Centre. Tom knows what he is doing. I had decided to cheap out once and took it to the local auto alternator rebuild shop .. guy said he could fix anything. Not :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:28 am

I don't know if the person who overhauled that starter was an aircraft mechanic but a long ago practice was to "install" an penny,dime or quarter somewhere on an engine or airframe whenever the unit was completely overhauled. That way a person would have some idea when the last over was completed (the date on the penny,dime or quarter would tell the year of overhaul)

Or maybe someone needed a plug! Who knows but that's the old aviation lore.

NJ Farmer

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks Rudi, now I am just hoping not to need starter help for a good long while.

NJ Farmer, glad to see there are still farmers in New Jersey; after all, it is "The Garden State" right.
I never heard that about aircraft mech's; it makes a lot of sense and it makes me wonder about the history.
Thanks,
Dave
The glass is half full

Return to “Farmall Cub”