This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Some Cub Progress

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Some Cub Progress

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 am

Things are starting to come together again kinda. The last year has seen a dearth of projects that I could do .. just a bunch of things that had to be done - but not by me anymore. Well that's life I guess.

Anyways .. a while ago I had to take Ellie's front shoe off because the tire was well not so much good anymore - took it to my local tire shop to see if they could put a patch in the sidewall to kind of keep the tube inside the tire. Oooops ... :( not much chance. So I ordered up a new tire to match the other shoe. The new Tri-Ribs will be for another Cub in time. I wanted one of the less aggressive agricultural type tires and a 5 rib seemed to be a good fit for me, so I went with that. Tried to get an original tire but those aren't available. Ended up with a Carlisle Agri Implement tire.

While they had the old tire/rim waiting for the new one, they sandblasted the rim and then primed it for me. I thought that was kinda cool. It took me a while to finally get the energy (COPD/PF/PVH kinda takes all the ooomph out of you ...) to get the tire/rim done and back on Ellie. The other day, I finally seemed to have it ..

Got the tire all masked up ..

then I hit it with some of NAPA/CMAX - version of CaseIH 2150. 1st coat went on and the next morning the 2nd coat.

For some reason that didn't seem to be enough for me. Seems all those months of no Cub projects just got me antsy so I went back in the pole barn and got a pair of Berlin's Ear Support Braces that I picked up at Cecil's last year.

And that still wasn't enough so I grabbed Rick's Ear Supports as well:

Now I feel a bit better. :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Re: Some Cub Progress

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:25 am

Nice job Rudi...Carlisle is a good tire....It is tough to put down that spray can once you gets your greasy mitts upon it....But you should never put away a used can of paint...So if you run out on a project and have to open a new one then you have to use that too...Its endless...Kinda like the potato chip thing :lol:
In Memory of 58,286

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 am

Glad to see pictures of rims being painted with tires on. If I ever get my tires and rims from Boss Hog, I'll use this as an example. Nice job Rudi :{_}:

Ken

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am

pickerandsinger wrote:But you should never put away a used can of paint...So if you run out on a project and have to open a new one then you have to use that too...Its endless...Kinda like the potato chip thing :lol:

Was curious - did you mean painting is addictive or the cans don't work if you don't finish one? If it's the latter - here's what I've done for 30+ cans now. I never turn them over and waste paint and solvent. After each time I spray anything, no matter how small or big - I go directly to my little covered tray of paint thinner and using a toothbrush (not the one I use in the morning :D) and I brush the nozzle so no paint remains on the nozzle. I've never had a can fail using this approach.

Kenbrandt.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:31 am

Ken:

Good trick. You can also just take the nozzle off and dunk it in some lacquer thinner. It will clean it out nicely. Don't leave the nozzle in the thinners too long .. 10 mins should be enough .. then let them dry. I have been keeping cleaned nozzles for years in a glass jar - that way when I get one that doesn't work right and I can't get it clean - in the trash it goes and out comes a spare.

For the tires, I masked off the rubber at the bead with some of that Frog tape. Put 2 strips on to make sure no bleed through. Then hit it with the newspapers. Tape all the edges etc., and no over spray will get in on the rubber.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Let the air out of the tire. Depending on the tire, it may relax a little away from the rim and let you get both the tape and the paint a little farther in between the tire and rim.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm

PVF1799 wrote:I go directly to my little covered tray of paint thinner and using a toothbrush (not the one I use in the morning ) and I brush the nozzle so no paint remains on the nozzle. I've never had a can fail using this approach.

Kenbrandt.
I was only busting on Rudy, we do that quite often Via PM's....Usually it is he with the upper hand though :shock: ....However that is a good tip...(no pun intended)...Glad you like my nickname for you...It did seem to fit properly... :lol:
In Memory of 58,286

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Anyways .. a while ago I had to take Ellie's front shoe off because the tire was well not so much good anymore - took it to my local tire shop to see if they could put a patch in the sidewall to kind of keep the tube inside the tire. Oooops ... :( not much chance

I'm trying something with breaks in the sidewalls to keep the tire in use. (can't afford to keep buying tires) This is of course something you would have to do yourself, as I'm sure no tire shop would do it. (liability) On some of the cracks that don't go all the way through I glue them with a urethane glue. (anyway I think that's what it was) On the breaks I find patches bigger then hole and put two on, and if possible the second is bigger then the first. I then put down a layer of RTV silicone and embed a piece of fiberglass screen larger then the patches. Then another layer of silicone. Sure there is no guarantee that the tire won't split elsewhere but it seems to be working on the breaks where I tried it. One of the ones I did was on the LeTourneau scraper. I haven't run it much yet to see if flexing will be a problem, but I sure did give it the weight test. With about 75 to 90 percent of the original Lawn Boy weight, over half of the scraper bowl, probably 150#s in the weight box and my 300#s on the seat. There was no additional bulging in the break. I'm not sure a new 2 ply tire should hold up to all that weight.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Rudi,
Those parts are looking good. I painted the sets that I bought from Berlin (the person) too. They turned out nice. Of course, I had to paint other things too. Can't just paint one thing.
Dave
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Nope, you can't paint just one thing. I need to paint the channel for my new door tomorrow and I still have another set of each of the ear braces to do. I know darn well I can find more stuff to paint real quick.

birddog wrote:On the breaks I find patches bigger then hole and put two on, and if possible the second is bigger then the first. I then put down a layer of RTV silicone and embed a piece of fiberglass screen larger then the patches. Then another layer of silicone. Sure there is no guarantee that the tire won't split elsewhere but it seems to be working on the breaks where I tried it.

Mark:

That is exactly what I was hoping that the tire shop would do. The tire was too far gone though for them to even try that fix.

Return to “Farmall Cub”