This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

shifter coming out of gear box

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jhopewell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03894

shifter coming out of gear box

Postby jhopewell » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 pm

All,
I inherited a '50 cub from my father. I thought I new it pretty well but I have a problem.
I've searched the site but cant seem to find a direct reference. maybe the ball is too worn?
The problem: the whole shifter stick is coming out of the gear box. just the stick with the ball at the end.
what is supposed to keep this in? once in gear its held by the gear slots. but in neutral it just pops out.
the forks look fine. although its causing the forks to misalign, making me open up the gearbox and realign the forks before I can shift again.
any thoughts? or some details I may have left out?
thanks
Jonathan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: shifter coming out of gear box

Postby challenger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

You need to disassemble the shift mechanism. Take the cover off and remove the shift stick guide from the bottom of the cover. You will find a cup shaped device inside that is supposed to be welded to the shifter stick. This cup has broken off your sick. I have attached a repair instruction demonstation that will help you understand what I am talking about.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair%20and%20Improvement.htm

jhopewell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03894

Re: shifter coming out of gear box

Postby jhopewell » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Fantastic! thank you!

Return to “Farmall Cub”