This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adding live hydraulics to a Ford 8N

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Adding live hydraulics to a Ford 8N

Postby leerenovations » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 am

I was surfing and found this inof on how to add live hydraulics to a Ford Nseries. Anyone who owns one of these know what a pain it is to not have hydraulics when you push in the clutch.

http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs ... ctions.pdf
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Adding live hydraulics to a Ford 8N

Postby Super A » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm

leerenovations wrote:I was surfing and found this inof on how to add live hydraulics to a Ford Nseries. Anyone who owns one of these know what a pain it is to not have hydraulics when you push in the clutch.

http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs ... ctions.pdf

THE BEST WAY TO CONVERT TO LIVE HYDRAULICS ON A N-SERIES FORD

By Super A

1. Drive N-series Ford out of shed.
2. Drive JD 1020, 820 (3 cylinder diesel), 830 (3 cylinder diesel), 1520, 1530, 2040, 2240, 2350, 2355 or IH 404, 424, 464, 484, or CaseIH 395, or even a MF 135, (scratch that, I believe the 135 didn't have live hyd. either) MF 240 etc. into the N-Series Ford's place. (Any of these tractors are the same shape/size as the N-series Ford, but have way more hp, way better hydraulics, pretty much way better everything. Even the MF's. The MF, to be totally honest, would be a last resort)
3. Sell N-series Ford.
4. Conversion completed. :{_}:

NOTE: This same conversion works on all grey Fergies as well. In fact, it probably works even better. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:11 pm

:Dito:

:bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:01 pm

The only way a JD wuld be on my property is if someone broke down on the road and I let them park it overnight out of the goodness of my heart.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 am

leerenovations wrote:The only way a JD wuld be on my property is if someone broke down on the road and I let them park it overnight out of the goodness of my heart.

I don't expect to make any converts, I totally understand brand loyalty and I am IH to the bone, but I will not say too much bad about JD. The most profitable tractor ever to live on our farm is probably our early 80s model 2940. Dependable, dependable, dependable, plus comfortable to operate. Later Fords, like the 3000, were pretty good but I have never been on the seat of one so I cannot say from experience. To me a Ford is just a blue MF.

That said, there is no way, I mean NOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAY I would ever allow one of these to roll up on my place:

When I could have one of these for about the same money:
or one of these (already do :D ):
or for a little more, one of these:
one of these:
one of these:

or, heaven forbid, for some more money even one of these:
or one of these:

All of the above take about as much space as the ferd, but can do way more work, and do it way more comfortably. Yes some of them are 40 years newer, but the fact still remains: like it or not, Deere had the pants beat off everyone else when it came to operator comfort, and I think on the smaller tractors the gap was even wider. I spent some time on a 2240 set up just like the one above, and it was just as comfortable to run as our 2940, even though the 29 has a flat platform. Nice seat, good power steering, responsive hydraulics, and eight forward speeds. It was nimble as a cat and had excellent power for its size.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby leerenovations » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 pm

The first tractor I ever drove was a Ford 8n growing up. Dad kept it because it was so good on gas. And an 8N will dost anything that has to be done on a small ranch/ farm as long as you understand its limits. And they are so easy to get parts for and you can also buy one almost anywhere for around 1000. I love IH with all my heart. Hell, my truck has a vanity plate that reads "Farmall". But the Ford 8n is a close freind.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 am

Somewhere my wife's paternal pepere's ?n is still out there workin it's heart out. Yvon sold it a few years ago to get his Universal. The Ford did a good job on the farm hauling hay and other implements but only that which was within it's operating envelope. Hey it even hauled wood. The family had it for almost 60 years I guess before it got sold. Good ole tractor ......
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 am

It’s funny how things differ from one part of the country to the other on tractor taste. In my area you can’t hardy give away a Super A or even a Cub unless you have equipment and even then you have to take a big hit. I personally took a big hit on my Super A….that really hurt because it was my Grandfathers tractor. The Cub I grew up with, which I have completely redone with all the implements’ was overlooked by a person to buy a Ford N.

A friend who repairs and rebuilds tractors for the weekend/small Farmer tells me the Ford N’s are a big hit with the live hydraulics’ installed along with the Zang thing and converted to 12 Volt ignitions. Other tractors in big demand are the M/F 135, M/F 40 Industrial Back Hoe, regular Fergusons and Kubota’s. He said the big problem with Super A’s and Cub’s is the way the implements have to be put on along with no three point hitch.

My family which farms 1500 acres uses mostly JD and some M/F. As the JD’s wear out we are going to a lease program which is New Holland and Arco (Fiat). Every three years the tractors are replaced.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:14 am

JackF wrote:It’s funny how things differ from one part of the country to the other on tractor taste. In my area you can’t hardy give away a Super A or even a Cub unless you have equipment and even then you have to take a big hit. I personally took a big hit on my Super A….that really hurt because it was my Grandfathers tractor. The Cub I grew up with, which I have completely redone with all the implements’ was overlooked by a person to buy a Ford N.

A friend who repairs and rebuilds tractors for the weekend/small Farmer tells me the Ford N’s are a big hit with the live hydraulics’ installed along with the Zang thing and converted to 12 Volt ignitions. Other tractors in big demand are the M/F 135, M/F 40 Industrial Back Hoe, regular Fergusons and Kubota’s. He said the big problem with Super A’s and Cub’s is the way the implements have to be put on along with no three point hitch.

My family which farms 1500 acres uses mostly JD and some M/F. As the JD’s wear out we are going to a lease program which is New Holland and Arco (Fiat). Every three years the tractors are replaced.

I think the Cub, Super A /100/130/140 are still popular here because people "know" them. As far as utility, no you can't beat a smallish 3 point hitch tractor, although IMO aside from three point equipment, the direct connected Farmall implements are the easiest of all of the older tractors to deal with. I know that a lot of people have installed three points on various farmalls, but it is not the same as one "made" for it. I have just never liked the N's because you can buy a newer MF or "classic" IH or for a little more, a "classic" JD that is the same basic size/shape as the N but they can do so much more.

Al

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”