This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Troubles

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob shone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03884

Governor Troubles

Postby bob shone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:45 am

Hello, I am a new member. Not sure how to get this message out so I'm hoping that this gets to someone who can help me solve this issue. I have a 1953 Cub that I am rebuilding and need help with an issue with the governor. After hooking up the governor linkage to the Carb I noticed that the speed control lever wasn't moving the card throttle. Traced back to governor and found slop in the rockshaft at the governor. I thought initially it was a loose fit between the extension and the rockshaft itself but that fit is tight. The slop is in the shaft coming out of the governor. It seems like about a 15 degree free movement. Is this normal? Seems like it is too much as it keeps the linkage to the throttle from retuning when the speed lever is moved. Not looking forward to taking the governor apart but is that the next step? The inside of the governor looks pretty clean

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Governor Troubles

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Bob:

G'day to you and your '53 :big smile:

Let's see now .. okay here are some resources strictly for the governor:

Lurker Carl's Cub Governor Rebuild. Carl documented Jos Van Oostrum as he rebuilt one of my governors. A good instructional PowerPoint presentation.

How To Inspect & Repair A Governor. Gary put together a very nice How To on rebuilding and repairing a governor as well.

We have a very large amount of resources available to our members and I always strongly encourage new members to follow the links below and spend some time reading the info therein. Hope it is useful to you.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:09 pm

The lever only moves the throttle a little when the tractor is not running. Have you started it yet to see if operation is normal?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RustyKnuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01073

Postby RustyKnuckles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi -

I am in the same boat. My governor shaft rocks back and forth about the same amount. This HAS to cause erratic throttle response. I posted an inquiry re this a few days ago. Some suggested cleaning off the end of the shaft, and the recess into which it fits. Then put a blob of epoxy (JBWeld) on the end of the shaft, and insert it back into place, and let the epoxy harden before moving the arm.

Before I go that route, I am going to try another fix, using brass shim stock. The very end of the governor shaft is turned down to a slightly smaller diameter, not sure why. I have some brass tubing that will shim this out to the diameter of the rest of the shaft. So my plan is to try that first, and if it doesn't cure the problem, then try the JBWeld.

Now, here is another consideration: With a 15 degree swing of the governor arm, which position should it be in when the shaft is epoxied? I'm inclined to think it should be with the arm as far away from the carburetor as possible, without engaging the governor spring. That is, with the governor shaft turned at the clockwise limit of the slop.
Jay Smith

1953 Cub, acquired fall 2013. Runs much better thanks to tuneup by Art Chester!
Next, replacement of old parts (radiator, seals, etc.) + painting.

Plus 3 JD garden tractors (425,318,140)
& two Buick Roadmaster station wagons

bob shone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03884

Postby bob shone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:11 pm

John,

Thanks for the response. I will try adjusting after getting the tractor started. I'm close to completing the tractor assembly. Should have everything up mid week. Also, after taking the linkage apart today and reassembled I got the throttle linkage to finally move so I'm optimistic.

Return to “Farmall Cub”