This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

(Super A) Stalled

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

(Super A) Stalled

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Okay so my 48 Super A did something weird. I was going going along a dirt road in 3rd high throttle, just chugging along. I get to a hill and its still idling high enough where I know it shouldn't want to stall out from lack of power going up hill, but it just starts skipping and then it just dies. Right after that white smoke started coming out of the oil filler cap. That was about a week ago, and now when I go up that hill I just have it in 2nd and it doesn't do any of the above anymore. The smoke was that had me the most concerned, but like I said, it hasn't done this at all since then.

I've towed heavy tobacco trailers with Cubs, a BN, a 140, a C, a super C and an H so I know all about power/gear ratio and going up hills. So I was very surprised when it did this with nothing in tow or any load besides the tractor itself.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: (Super A) Stalled

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:47 pm

The tractor should be able to go just about anywhere except straight up a ladder in 3rd gear.

You could have anything from the timing being off, to needing a simple tuneup, to the engine needing a complete overhaul.

First off make sure it's running on all 4 cylinders. I cannot count the number of youtube videos I've watched with people proudly showing off their old farmalls... running on 2-3 cylinders, while they brag about how smooth and powerful the engine is!!!

If it sounds like a Harley Davidson (loping and popping), it's not running right. It should sound like a sewing machine.

Pull each spark plug wire off one at a time, and note how the engine runs, then put the wire back. It should change for EACH plug. If it doesn't change for one or more plugs, that cylinder is not firing.

White smoke normally indicates coolant burning (steam). Check your oil for water/coolant, but since it only did it that one time I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:09 pm

I get to a hill

Fuel starving?
The strainer/pickup is set in thee front of the tank. I have a hill in the back that is a slight grade but enough to pitch the gas away from the pickup when it has 2" in the tank when level. Sloshing in the tank doesn't help either.
I've resorted to climbing the hill in reverse to keep the gas level over the pickup. Get to the top, look in the tank and it'd seem like gas wasn't the problem. Maybe that's all it was.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:
I get to a hill

Fuel starving?
The strainer/pickup is set in thee front of the tank. I have a hill in the back that is a slight grade but enough to pitch the gas away from the pickup when it has 2" in the tank when level. Sloshing in the tank doesn't help either.
I've resorted to climbing the hill in reverse to keep the gas level over the pickup. Get to the top, look in the tank and it'd seem like gas wasn't the problem. Maybe that's all it was.
Mike

Possible, but I had just put about 3/4 tank into it at the time. It could have sloshed when I was going down the bumpy dirt path and sucked some air in and it just happened that it stalled on the hill. I made it almost to the top and then it skipped and quit. I saw white smoke pour out of the oil cover and my heart stopped. I was like "Oh sh*t, what did I do!?"

Like I said earlier I've driven Farmalls from A-H and I finally get one of my own and this happens. Thought it has NOT happened since then. I'm more curious about the white smoke. I did pull the valve cover off and found NO coolant mixed with the oil.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:17 pm

With 3/4 of a tank of gas, there is no way for the carburetor to suck air into the fuel line.

What about my suggestions? Are you sure the tractor is running OK?

Have you tried to take that hill in 3rd since the time it stalled?

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:With 3/4 of a tank of gas, there is no way for the carburetor to suck air into the fuel line.

What about my suggestions? Are you sure the tractor is running OK?

Have you tried to take that hill in 3rd since the time it stalled?

Tractor takes that hill in 3rd just fine now. I have NO idea what it was. All of the cylinders are firing fine, it even has a new distributor cap and wires.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Cool. Frankly, I don't get too worked up over stuff that can't be easily reproduced.

I'm wondering maybe if you hit a bump which threw some oil up out of the breather cap, which then splashed down on the hot exhaust manifold, which caused the puff of smoke?

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Cool. Frankly, I don't get too worked up over stuff that can't be easily reproduced.

I'm wondering maybe if you hit a bump which threw some oil up out of the breather cap, which then splashed down on the hot exhaust manifold, which caused the puff of smoke?

Nah the smoke was coming out of the breather/filler cap directly above the valves. It came out of the cap and rose around the lip and into the air. I took the cap off and it just poured out nice and thick. I took the hood and cap off and drove the tractor up with the engine exposed and I saw smoke just coming out and being blow back by the fan. I let it sit after that for a couple of hours, came back and fired it up, like nothing had happened, no smoke. Strange indeed.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”