This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub just died and ??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub just died and ??

Postby Jason (IL) » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:02 pm

I was pulling a float in the Homecoming parade tonight and I got things going and was able to move in 3rd at idle and then come a railroad to cross. I climbed up and got part way up and my Cub just all quit and I couldn't get it to start again till I was able to pull it home the 4 block with the truck. I got it to start on the trip home but it sure ran rough, I tried to start it before bed and it started but ran really rough again.

So I know it is electrical, and I am thinking the old Coil is about shot, it was so hot I couldn't stand to touch it, and I don't think I have given this tractor a good tune up in 10yrs so that may be in store also. This is the same tractor I used to plow all summer at shows in the area. Start with the coil tomorrow morning.

I also figured something out tonight with Cubs, they really don't have a parade speed, they either travel to slow or to fast. I hate to run the motor wide open the entire route in 2nd, or ride the clutch. So I plan on pulling floats with the M or 450 for now on. If there was no float the Cub would be fine. My opinion.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Re: Cub just died and ??

Postby gusbratz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Jason (IL) wrote:So I know it is electrical, and I am thinking the old Coil is about shot, it was so hot I couldn't stand to touch it, and I don't think I have given this tractor a good tune up in 10yrs so that may be in store also. This is the same tractor I used to plow all summer at shows in the area. Start with the coil tomorrow morning.

I also figured something out tonight with Cubs, they really don't have a parade speed, they either travel to slow or to fast. I hate to run the motor wide open the entire route in 2nd, or ride the clutch. So I plan on pulling floats with the M or 450 for now on. If there was no float the Cub would be fine. My opinion.

is it a 6v or 12v coil? if the tractor has a 12v conversion you need a ballest resistor in line with the 6 v coil. I would do a quick cleaning of the carb and fuel filter/sedement bowl before i put any money towards it, you know how bad this gas is these days. I don't think it's bad to run the enine at it's rated rpm. in fact i think it makes the fan push more air through the radiator and keep it cooler.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub just died and ??

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:04 am

If your Coil is too hot to touch it is probably breaking down.3rd Gear and Idle will load up the plugs along with a coil breaking down will cause the described problem. you will want to pull the plugs and check them for fouling.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Return to “Farmall Cub”