This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Axle spacer and shims

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KyCub54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42029
Tractors Owned: 1952 Ferguson
1954 Cub

Rear Axle spacer and shims

Postby KyCub54 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Guess I should have spent $ on a service manual before I started this project. Had all parts clean and laid out on table waiting on new bearing and seals. Noticed this evening that the spacer and shims somehow fell on the floor. now I am not sure which goes where. Only drawing I have seen on the net does not help. Would certainly appreciate help from you guys!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear Axle spacer and shims

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Bad link sorry
Last edited by Boss Hog on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:55 am

KyCub54:

As I mentioned before ... follow the links to the manuals -- service manuals, parts manuals, owner's manuals and all kinds of other resources available to you .. simply click the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.

This is the page you would be looking for in the TC-37C Parts Catalog (08-29-52)

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

KyCub54
10+ Years
10+ Years
1954 Cub

Postby KyCub54 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Well thanks you guys for the info. Only problem I have now is, I remember taking off the spacer and shims together. The
TC-37C drawing shows them on opposite side of the bull gear. I am certain they were on the same side. If that is so, then someone before me tore into this thing and built it wrong. I will assemble it per the drawing, nothing seems to be worn anywere. Just went into it because of the bad seal outer seal leak. Any other advice ?

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48180
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub with
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:06 pm

KyCub54 wrote:I will assemble it per the drawing, nothing seems to be worn anywere. Just went into it because of the bad seal outer seal leak. Any other advice ?

Be sure to read through the GSS-1411 Service Manual, in particular Section 6 Transmission And Differential. The shims are there for proper pre-load and backlash on the gears and need to be put back in a proper order. Follow the steps laid out in the Service Manual to make sure it goes back together correctly.
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

KyCub54
10+ Years
10+ Years
1954 Cub

Postby KyCub54 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Ok I think I am no longer confused. Finally got a link to work, and when I got to the blow up of the rear axle assy I realized what IH calls "spacer" and ""shim" I was thinking of as all shims. I remember "spacers" on air compressor overhauls being as much as 4" long. Now I feel better about putting it back together tomorrow. Wish me luck, please. Thanks

KyCub54
10+ Years
10+ Years
1954 Cub

Postby KyCub54 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Got it all back together and everything is good!! Thanks again to all who offered advice. Now I really have to clean up my shop!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”