This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

plowing, getting hung up on drawbar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

plowing, getting hung up on drawbar

Postby gusbratz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 pm

I set the plow up on my cub for the first time last week and plowed the garden. Boy was that fun. My 6 year old came out and sat on the sideline and watched the dirt flip over but mom refused to come out and share our excitement. Watching the dirt flip is sort of mesmerizing. It didn't look like it was going in super deep, maybe 4-6". A few times the tractor got hung up and I realized the drawbar was digging into the ground. I thought it would plow deeper with the drawbar that far down. After I got done I thought I could have bolted the plow to the bottom of the drawbar to get a little more ground clearance under the drawbar. Is the drawbar digging in normal? Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: plowing, getting hung up on drawbar

Postby Barnyard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Here is how your set up should look. Your depth control lever should keep the drawbar from digging in.

Image from TM Tractor Parts
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Does this help?

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 pm

As has been posted, the plow goes on the bottom of the drawbar, plus your point may be worn, requiring you to set the lever deeper than normal to get it in the ground. Can you post a picture of the point?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 am

I set it up like the book showed then relazied my plow throws dirt to the left :roll: the piece that connects the drawbar to the depth control was missing so I made one. I don't think that would effect it though. here are pics of my plowed garden and the plow.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am

Your plow appears to be the left half of a 189, 2 way plow. It needs to be mounted on the left side of the drawbar so the left wheel runs in the furrow. which it appears you have.

A big part of you problem appears to be that the point is pretty badly worn. Sharpening it is more than just taking a grinder to it. If you are lucky enough to have a real blacksmith in your area, he can heat it and draw out the point, maybe even weld a new point to it. the point with it's length and angle, should "suck" the plow into the ground. Except fot when opening the first furrow, normally the depth lever will only be half way or less down.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 am

I had the share off and is says "cast steel" on the back. maybe I will try preheating it and building it up with some stainless rod sometime.

Return to “Farmall Cub”