This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

i bet i don't do that again.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

i bet i don't do that again.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 pm

A neighbor decided they did not want the house and ground they owned close to us, and just walked off and left it. the mortgage company repossessed it, listed it with a real estate agent, and about 2 months later it burned. After being abandoned for 8 or 9 months the place finally sold and the new owner is in the process of repairing the basement walls so he can rebuild on it. Being the nice guy I am, I volunteered to bring the cub with the flail and knock down some of the big weeds that had grown up during the summer. Part of the area I was mowing had been a pig pen once upon a time, and nothing was growing in that area but care less weeds about 12 to 15 feet tall, and cuckleburs that had dried.

Everything went well till I hit the first batch of cuckleburs. They were about 4to 5 feet tall , and had turned brown and totally dried out. When the flail hit those cucklleburs they disintegrated, the stems, leaves, and the burrs, sending all the little spines from the leaves and pods into the air. They got into my clothes, and by the time I had finished they had worked through them and into my skin. They are so little you cannot see them without a magnifier, but are very prickly. If you have ever had a case of prickly heat it is like that, but all over. :x Showered using one of those back scrubbers that are made of coarse cloth, which removed a lot of them. I later used one of those sticky rollers for lint to go over much of my body and that removed a lot more, but still have a few of them stuck in me.

sure won't mow dried cuckleburs again
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: i bet i don't do that again.

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:19 am

Hi John,
Please forgive me but I had a chuckle :D at your predicament. Old saying " No good deed goes unpunished" :lol: Its a bad day that we don't learn something new :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:33 am

Hi John,
You may want to try some baby oil on those areas.
In hinesight, would a sickle bar Been much better?
It is aweful nice of you to help out the new neighbors.
Dave
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dusty B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 am

John - You should have gone to one of the places that do a bikini wax job - LOL - they would have taken care of you in short (pun intended) order !!!!! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:21 am

A sickle bar would have been a better idea for those cuckleburs, but do not have one, plus there is so much debris, limbs, etc. in the area i do not believe it would have been useable. for those not familiar with dried cuckleburs, the best way to describe the feeling is if you have ever gotten a haircut on a humid day, and the short hairs dig into your neck, etc. until you can wash them off, it is like that except about 3 or 4 times worse, and over much of my body. Thankfully my jeans stopped most of them in the area they cover, however my shirt did not.

Dusty, if I don't get better in a day or two it may be a tempting idea. Problem may be that the girls that do those bikini waxes may refuse to touch my body though.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:Hi John,
Please forgive me but I had a chuckle :D at your predicament..................
My life is never dull.

Return to “Farmall Cub”