This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tater harvest

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

tater harvest

Postby SONNY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:54 am

It is DUNNN!!! LOL! FINALLY got all the taters dug and under dry cover!--- NOW to get rid of them!---anybody want a bunch?--price is right!---FREE!!----Ended up with between 5,000 to 6,000 pounds this year and we only need bout 150 pounds for us to run the winter! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: tater harvest

Postby Jack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

you should consider the food banks, they will be happy to have them
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 pm

We usually take everything to the Mission.-----they dont really want it but do take most of the stuff.---No zucs/cucs/maters/winter squash/etc,---so they are not much help---We take them 60 dozen eggs per month,--they do take some of the onions and taters, and a few cabbages----I didnt get the greenbeans picked but one time and ole bod wont stand that kind of picking so the rest went to seed!
Right now I am starting the red soupbean harvest for us!---got a gallon so far and dont know how many more I will be able to get!

I dont know any other place here that might take the veggies and I cant haul it very many miles. thanks; sonny

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:23 am

Thats a shame, when a person like you is generous enough to make such a heartfelt offer and can't get any takers.....I just heard on the news here that ONE out of SEVEN people now collect food stamps.....Guess its easier to hold your hand out than to raise taters and other crops with it....Or even go fetch em....Good luck..... You're a generous man :worthy: ....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:18 pm

wish you were closer Sonny, we have a local food pantry that will take any kind of produce you bring them and are glad to get it. i took them a few bushels of winter (Butternut) squash last year, which they were very glad to get. Living out in the country I tend to wonder why many people do not grow gardens when they are having trouble getting by, but in reality many in apartments or rental housing do not have places to grow them, or the soil may be so rocky, etc. that they cannot grow anything.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm

For the record, Food stamps are a great thing for" those in need."...".The for those in need" is the catch phrase....My comments were directed at the ones playing the system.....There now I feel better.....
In Memory of 58,286

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:00 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:wish you were closer Sonny, we have a local food pantry that will take any kind of produce you bring them and are glad to get it. i took them a few bushels of winter (Butternut) squash last year, which they were very glad to get. Living out in the country I tend to wonder why many people do not grow gardens when they are having trouble getting by, but in reality many in apartments or rental housing do not have places to grow them, or the soil may be so rocky, etc. that they cannot grow anything.

we also have alot of food banks in our area that would love to have your produce,I hate the thought of it going to waste ( compost )

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 am

Jack wrote:we also have alot of food banks in our area that would love to have your produce,I hate the thought of it going to waste ( compost )
Same here. There is a collection container in the local grocery store with a sign asking for desperately needed food donations.

One neighbor has a large garden. Excess vegetables are fed to the hogs. Perhaps time to purchase up a piglet or two.

Edit: Just another thought. Phone the local churches or ministry groups. Also call the local superintendent of schools.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 am

Sonny:

I like Eugene's suggestion ... call the schools .. their student lunch programs probably would love to have your potatoes as well as any other foodstuffs like eggs etc., for their programs. Far too many today are marginalized and need a hand up -- especially the kids. They learn better on full tummies ... Same with the Church outreach programs/soup kitchens etc. I do hope you manage to connect with those in your community who are needy and will appreciate your donations. You and Victoria have big hearts ... congrats .. for thinking about those less fortunate.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Way back, I use to teach shop at the high school level. 2nd year at school I started got a phone call from an individual wanting to donate tools, equipment and supplies to the school. Superintendent and I would go over after school hours with a pickup truck and load up the donations. I would inventory the donations and make out a receipt for a dollar amount donated to the school, a tax deductible donation. Then post the donation in the monthly school news letter. After the first school news letter, more donations came in.

Another thing I did was request donations of a specific needed item. I wanted bottles suitable use as glue dispensers. I needed about a dozen bottles, must have eventually receive 100 or more of the items I wanted.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Good to donate, but the times have changed. No potato peelers in cafeterias, also all food must come from a licensed, insured vendor. No more food from home in the schools unless purchased ;( also most systems don't have labor for extra food prep.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:28 am

Sonny, maybe a roadside stand (free taters), good luck with the taters, 5000 lbs is alot of them, I;m surprized no church group can help

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Around here, the ones milking the system are referred to as " IWW" ( I WONT work)---many of them could but refuse to!--- Even they are welcome to our veggies!---BUT it's beneath their standards, I guess!
Today a gas station employee came out and got a couple cabbages, 5 gallon bucket of onions, and 250 pounds of taters, also about a half bucket of good maters!---He was glad to get the veggies!

Some folks would probably try to grow food, but as John stated,---dont have decent growing area to do it on!---We have been blessed with excellent land to garden here!
according to all organizations we contacted say they take only from certified growers, and really only want money!---The only group here that takes produce is the Mission and they have a kitchen to cook and feed the homeless so the can use most stuff, BUT are under GOVT. regs also as to what they can take!---I know its a crock, but rules are rules, I guess!!
The next two pics are what we took in a couple days ago!

Each bag of taters and onions had 100 pounds in each bag,---the red soup beans had a 5 gallon bucket of pods ( they can only take them if the are in the pods! --NO processed stuff!) --- the cabbages were total of 13 heads at 15 pounds average each, plus some mini-heads in the sack!--- the eggs were two 30 dozen crates making a total of 60 dozen for that trip! ( we have been taking 60 dozen per month to them!----looks like that will increase greatly since the new chickens have started laying!--- getting 46 to 57 eggs per DAY now, so that wont take long to fill 60 dozen)-----also had four 8 to 10 pound food grade pumpkins in the load!

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 pm

WOW!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:27 am

Sonny, you have some very nice looking produce there. I sure wish I lived closer to get some of that, I love eggs and potatoes,cabbage soup yummy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”