This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO switching problem?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

PTO switching problem?

Postby fordyford » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

On one of my 184's, I run a full time IH 3160 mower. My problem is that after mowing for a while, if the pto is either switched off, or the tractor is stalled, the pto clutch will not come on and engage. If everything is allowed to cool off, it will properly switch on.

Is this a switch issue, or worse, a pto electrical problem?

Any trouble shooting tips or diagnosis?

Thanks!
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO switching problem?

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 am

If I had to guess, and that's all I'm doing, I'd say the clutch coil is going/gone bad. When it's warm enough and won't engage, test the coil with an ohm meter and test the switch for voltage, it could be a bad relay.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 am

Can't seem to fix it with a hammer, so it must be an electrical problem.

Some diagnostics will be required. Let's start with the easy stuff. We know that the PTO engages, so the electromagnet works when power is applied. When the issue is happening, make sure that 12V is being supplied to the electromagnet. There is a 6" pigtale with a connector coming out of the electromagnet. With the key on & engine off, verify that 12V is present at the connector when you flip the PTO Engagement switch. Note: Do not leave your key on for more than a minute or two.

If 12V is not present, then clean the terminals of the PTO Engagement switch and the terminals of the PTO Fuse. (must pull dash to get to these)
These PTO Engagement Switches do go bad so I wouldn't rule that out.
Clean the contacts of the fuse and fuse holder (inside) as well.
Clean the contacts of the pigtale connector and its mate.

Manually apply 12V to the electromagnet through the pigtale. You should hear the PTO engage. If it does not engage, then your issue is within the PTO Magnet itself. Replacing this assembly is quite pricey so I would look very carefully at the pigtale wires and the connector first. Again, it is unlikely that the assembly is bad because it works when cold.

One unlikely suspect may be the PTO Brake (built into the electromagnet assembly). This is adjusted with the three bolts (with springs on them). The tighter the bolts, the quicker the brake engages. Perhaps the PTO brake is becoming engaged and won't disengage. You can see the brake portion on the front side (engine side) of the PTO Assembly. You would have to examine how this works prior to warming up the tractor. Again - be careful not to leave the key on very long as you may damage the points.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

Postby fordyford » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks for the tips!
Very aggravating problem, especially when you need to finish up a section.
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:17 am

I agree anything to do with these electric clutches can be expensive.
outdoors4evr wrote: it is unlikely that the assembly is bad because it works when cold.
These magnets are not that different from an ignition coil in that they both use coil windings of scantly insulated wire and after years of use will become weak and even develop a dead short rendering the appliance totally inoperative, and sometimes will cut out when warm/hot, and may work well when cold.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:43 am

I'd clean all the connections first. And make sure all the grounds are clean to the tractor frame to the battery from the PTO. If that doesn't work I'd run a jumper wire so your positive it's grounded. I'd really rule out a connection before going after the coil.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”