This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just Peachy!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Just Peachy!

Postby Barnyard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 pm

We have had our peach trees for about seven years and never had anything bigger than marble sized fruit. This year we finally had some peaches that were edible. I'm not a peach guy but Rosie said they were pretty good after cutting out any bad spots. The cherries did well for the first in years also. I don't see having an orchard as part of my hobby list in the near future.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ReTractor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06437
Tractors Owned: 1956 lo-boy

Re: Just Peachy!

Postby ReTractor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Nice looking peaches! I know little about fruit trees but it seems like they need lot of attention to be productive. There are big apple orchards around here and I see the crews out there all the time cutting, spraying etc.,. And you have plenty of helpers to harvest for you, mostly four legged. I have a pear tree that was loaded one season and the gray tree rats took every last pear off the tree in one day! If I didn't see the thing on top of a light pole eating the pear I wouldn't have believed it. The tree now is choked out by others around it. I'll probably end up taking it down.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Mine blossomed(peaches) and the wind came up and destroyed all the blossoms....Also the Apples....The pears were ahead of those, and they survived....The wind blew so hard last night it blew two pears of the newly planted (last year).....I guess thats Mother Nature and she controls the animals also....Maybe next year!!! :D
In Memory of 58,286

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Brown rot, locusts, boils, worms, frogs, and a dozen other types of pestilence. That is what I get when I try to raise peaches! It takes a lot of work (spraying) to keep the bad stuff away in our neck of the woods. I bought some at a roadside stand in front of Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro, NC back in July. Some of the white variety I bought were as big as softballs. To me, that's the way to go as far as fresh peaches are concerned....

We have this heirloom apple tree on the farm, when I was growing up my grandparents had 3 trees and my dad got root sprouts off of them and planted several more. We call them "John Apples" but I don't know what they really are. They are a fantastic cooking apple and they make great pies. We used to have so many that my mom and grandmother would bake apple pies in a long casserole dish so they could use as many apples as possible, and it was the best apple pie I have ever had. In the 80s when I was growing up the trees were heavy producers and all you had to do was pick them up. They were ugly but they were good. I noticed this year a lot of them rotted on the tree similar to brown rot in peaches. I guess we'll have to start spraying them too..... :(

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:15 am

Super A wrote:They were ugly but they were good. I noticed this year a lot of them rotted on the tree similar to brown rot in peaches. I guess we'll have to start spraying them too.....
I hear you ....One of my neighbors has 600 acres of apples....Sprayer runs constantly....Alot of work that orchard business...And some years...... :evil: BUST.....You're to busy with all your Cubs anyways Barnyard :lol: :lol:
In Memory of 58,286

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:33 am

my peaches got the brown rot again this year and last year, a tree farmer told me what to get for it. so I will give it a shot for next season
it is Hi-Yield, lime sulfur spray
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 am

Our two peach trees are loaded. So much so that a wind storm about a month ago took out 2 pies and a cobbler! :evil:

Since our variety doesn't ripen until mid-September, it seems I'm fighting against deer, fruit disease, storms and time, while most others have already enjoyed theirs (many Missouri peach varieties are ripe in mid-July).

Maybe there's still a cobbler or two hanging there for us. :D
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Bill:

Our Peach Tree has produced 13 beautiful peaches this year. Not exactly large but really furry and juicy. A very difficult tree to grow and get producing. So far we have had Damson Plums (got gall and had to cut em down, going to be at least another 3 years before we can try them again), we have a Stella self pollinator cherry tree that produces by the bucket full every year. Unfortunately the birds seem to get em before we can. Our Bartlett Pears are doing well also this year. Trying to keep the ravens out of them though is frustrating. I think next year after we prune them in the fall we will use nets.

We also have 4 varieties of grapes growing... hmmm grape jelly and grape butter :-:-): tasty :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”