This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replacement digital camera

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Replacement digital camera

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 pm

I have had a Sony digital camera for several years, that was a little bulky, but took great pictures. Unfortunately I snagged the carry strap the other day and it hit the floor, and destroyed the LCD display. I can still take picture using the eyepiece viewfinder, but that is a little unhandy at times if you cannot get directly in line with what you are photographing. I was wondering what you all have and what you like and dislike about them. I need something I can see outdoors in the sunlight as well as indoors. I do NOT have a smartphone, nor do I plan to buy one (don't want the monthly charge they require when you activate them). My budget is limited, so I am trying to stay reasonable priced, (under $150).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Replacemrnt digital camera

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 pm

John...My brother and I both have the Canon PowerShot SD1300...It has taken all the pics posted to the forum and my facebook over the last few years...no issues whatsoever...Amazon is currently showing it at 199...Do not believe we spent that much on ours.

powershot1.jpg
powershot1.jpg (6.69 KiB) Viewed 656 times
powershot2.jpg
powershot2.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm

John:

I had a Canon A710. Great camera even though I bought it used at a local pawn shop - hey great deals there. :!: :D I was very happy with the camera until it inadvertently got left outside on the dock and got flooded .. so poof there goes the best digital I ever had. To replace it I got a Samsung ES10 - a very nice camera .. again bought it at a pawn shop for very little coin. Made sense to me .. inexpensive but a good used camera for the shop and I don't muck up Em's really expensive one.

So.. in my somewhat limited opinion on digital cameras, Canon being the best, Samsung, Vivitar and Olympus being real good ones and if you really want to spend money on a digital camera the Nikon's will deliver high end pics for very high end prices.

If I was to get a new one -- I think I would probably go for a Canon as I am much more comfy with them.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:58 pm

I like the idea of the viewfinder. Hard to see the LCD in sunlight. That's a nice option to have.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I liked my Fuji FinePix 310. Would buy another except I inherited my Daughters iPhone.
Last edited by danovercash on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 am

I am a huge fan of Nikon. The Samsung I used for 'pocket' use developed some kind of spots in the pictures so I got reman Nikon S9300 cheap from Cameta Camera ($150 with a bunch of accessories). Takes great pictures, HD video and has a great zoom (18x) for a pocket camera.

Honestly, for the money eBay may be a good way to go. People all the time upgrade and very good used ones go cheap. Just make sure it works before giving feedback. There is a 'guarantee' that it will be as described.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

John, my son bought me a Sony Cybershot DSC-W150 a few years ago. I like it a lot. Large view finder and it takes great picturs. 8.1 megapixels.

It was arounf $150 back then.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Replacement digital camera

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 am

I had a nice upper end Nikon SLR and Canon PowerShot . I really liked both cameras especially the Cannon because of the size and quality of the pictures it took. The Nikon was stolen and the Canon was accidently dropped from a mountain top. The Nikon was replaced by insurance for about 50% of its value. I was going to replace the Canon, but like Rudi did I stopped by a pawn shop and purchased a Kodak SLR and Fujifilm camera for a total of $50.00 with cards in them. Both take excellent pictures…I don’t know if I’ll spend the money for a new camera again.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Jack:

I know I won't unless it is for my bride. For me -- a good used camera from the pawn shop will work nicely. I have had this on about 2 years or so now and for the $80.00 I paid for it with cards .. I am very pleased with the Samsung. Most brands have their pros and cons but with a used camera it really isn't a concern because of the pricing.

John:

Let us know what you decide to do . I is curious. I am still indebted to you on that one btw... and no I don't forget much unless I am having a CRS day
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Been doing a lot of research on the models everyone has listed, plus others. Pawn shops in this area are no bargains, plus most of the times the cameras they have are antiques. One thing that I am particular about is I do not want one that has a proprietary battery, I am going to stick with AA, AAA, etc.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 am

John, don't be afraid of 'proprietary' batteries too much. Although of the 3 working Nikon's I have, there are 3 different Lithium batteries. The downside of my latest Nikon is no separate charger, it charges in the camera (same for the Samsung). But they last a long time, so not really much of a problem. They use a 'USB' cable so you can also just plug into a computer to charge (and download photos from the camera). The age of the battery (camera) may make a difference, but doesn't seem to be a problem. I try to keep the spare battery in the case, but don't seem to need it.

When I went mowing at the fort the other day I was disappointed to find the 'memory full' message after a couple of pictures... operator left the dang card in the computer. Guess I will have to start leaving a stray card in the case too!

You will see manufacturers start dropping out of the market, cell phone cameras are really good these days.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:07 pm

John:

I learned with the Kodak that I kinda inherited that AA or AAA battery powered cameras are probably the best. One doesn't need to carry a charger and cables, just an extra pack of batteries that will fill nicely in even the smallest pocket. The Samsung I have takes 2 AA batteries and they last a surprisingly long time, about 4 or 5 times the lifespan of that old Kodak.

Currently I haven't seen any on :eBay: :(

The camera I had before, a Canon A710 was a real powerhouse. Loved that camera. 2 AA batteries and good lifespan including movies. I did a search on eBay for it and found a couple nice ones:

Canon PowerShot A710 IS 7.1MP Digital Camera - 6x Image-Stabilized Optical Zoom

This is the eBay search: Canon A710 Camera

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Well, I guess I am going back on my statement of not buying anything that requires proprietary batteries. I decided to go with the Sony DSC HX 300. It does use proprietary rechargeable batteries, but they along with a standalone charger are readily available at reasonable prices.It is the current highly upgraded model of my 10+ year old DSC H1 that I broke. Still to big to carry in my pocket, but I am used to one that size. of course the 50x optical zoom does not hurt, along with the fact that it just took a price drop. I do have a pocekt model Samsung that is a pretty decent camera.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ccessories

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Well, so much for that idea, after playing with the new camera a couple days I sent it back. the quality of pictures was no better than my old H1, and the viewfinder was so poor as to be barely useable. Back to the search. Would really like ot have one with view finder, but may end up having to abandon that want.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 am

I also like a viewfinder, but have adjusted pretty well to not having one in the pocket Nikon. I have a Nikon that looks similar to that Sony, but I find the size makes it clumsy to take along. Both have an 18x zoom, but the small one takes HD movies (stereo) and even asks if someone blinked when the picture was taken. Small is a huge practical advantage.

The only Nikon out of 4 that I have owned that doesn't take great pictures today is the aps one that slipped out of my shirt pocket into a stream.... Surely Cannon owners can say the same thing, except possibly the stream part.

Viewfinder was handy when I took this shot, readers fell out of my pocket on the bicycle ride to Fort Adams

Return to “Off Topic”