This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

144 High-Clearance cultivator

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

144 High-Clearance cultivator

Postby smallfarm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Last week the JD 900 HC we used where I work turned red (electrical fire near the full plastic fuel tank). Soooooo...

We are trying to fit one of the HC 140's with cultivators. Unfortunately we only have the cultivators for a regular 140. I haven't seen a HC 140 with cultivators for 15 years and my memory isn't that long.
I assume

1.The universal mounting frame and rear tool bars are the same
2.The front "frame bars" that slide into the steering gear housing are the only difference in the front. HC being "swooped down and extend further out (longer)
3.The rear tool bar bearings and lift rods are the only difference in the rear.
4.The rear tool bars and front mounting frame are 6" lower.

Questions
1. Are any of my assumptions wrong (or are any of them right)
2. How much further out does the "down swooped"front bar frames extend for the Universal mounting frames front bearing mount and top parallel round bars to clear.
3. Is there a good parts list showing these parts. or better measurements--- for some reason my PC locks up if I try to look for this kind of stuff -- but will follow a link HONEST I'm not enlisting others to do my legwork because I'm to lazy to look.
4. Rather than cut and weld/ heat and bend does anybody have any parts for sale?

Thank you
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21853
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 144 High-Clearance cultivator

Postby rexxon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 am

You can go to Messicks website and compare, type in 144 under model and you will see 144AV and 144, I went outside to look at my 140HC and those AV cultivators look a good bit different than the regular 144 cultivators. I am not saying it can not be made to work and it might be easier than trying to find a set of 144AV cultivators. The front tool bars are a lot different in order to keep them from hitting the back tires.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 am

There are quite a few differences. Not saying you won't be able to make the regular set work in a pinch. As rexxon says looking at a parts blowup will show the differences.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Didn't remember all those differences! We decided to put the cultivators on a regular 140. Didn't want to cause it is an oil burner we just use to pull lighter wagons around, but it will buy some time. (And it kept me in the shop during today's rain) The regular 140 is actually 2" higher than the John Deere 900 HC. Our tall JD 2355 is between the regular 140 and the HC,s but doesn't handle the two row at a time scenario when the shrubs get close to selling size. Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction.

Now, what other High-Clearance one row cultivating tractors are out there other than the old Farmall's -- Ford's 1710 offset -- John Deere 900 HC -- and the International 265?

Anything new or a conversion kit?
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 pm

IH 274. Came after the 140 and before the 265.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:03 pm

There was also an offset Oliver and a Kubota. I don't think there were great numbers of either.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 pm

The Oliver was a rip-off of the Super A/140. Story is a farmer in N.E. North Carolina that was a big Oliver customer farmed with all Oliver equipment, except for a Super A for his tobacco. Some how or another the Oliver dealer arranged for some of their engineers to come down and evaluate his Super A so that they could copy it.

Al

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:14 am

just a quick glance of the 2, they look VERY similar......size and sheetmetal-wise.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”