This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cutout crapped out

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cutout crapped out

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi, I followed the trouble shooting tree I found on this site and pretty much determined that my cutout relay is Kaput :( . I was going to try to keep the cub origional as possible and buy another cutout but the ones I've seen offered come with just two terminals. I'm assuming Batt and Gen. Problem is my cub (unrestored 6 volt '47 with batt ignition) is using all three of the terminals on present relay, batt, gen and load (wire running from load on relay to field post on genny). From what I've been able to learn on this forum this is probably due to my lights being added on at some later date or the light switch had a ground problem at one time.
So, if I buy the new cutout am I going to lose use of my lights or is there a work around for this? Can I replace cutout with VR which wouldn't be like origional but certainly cheaper (still haven't figured out why VR is half the price of a cutout relay).
Also I understand there is a diode mod fix out there somewhere on net. Not sure I want to go down that road but if someone has link to proceedure I'd like to read it.

Thanks, Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dusti Snider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24739
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall "M" - Restored
1949 Farmall Cub - Original "Blue Ribbon Reconditioned"
1953 Farmall Super AI
1934 Farmall F-12
1929 Farmall Regular
1956 Ford 640
1972 Ford 4000

Re: Cutout crapped out

Postby Dusti Snider » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 pm

Dan,

Here's a link to a "conversion" or whatever you may want to call it, that I done on my '49. Granted in hindsight I may have done somethings different, soldering or whatever. But the basic concept I'd do in a heartbeat. It has performed flawlessly...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72180&hilit=diode

Member IHCC Chapter 37 & 42 - North Carolina

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:15 am

Dan:

Reproductions are pretty much the only thing available and they are pricey. When I had problems I took my generators and my cut-out to my local AC Delco Authorized Service Centre for repair. I thought that maybe they could repair my cut-out but that wasn't the case. Instead they replaced it with an RPC13227 6 volt Regulator. See this thread - Generator and Cut-Out.

Works well :D

I kept my old cut-out just in case. One of these days I am going to see if I can fix it. If not then I think I might use Dusti's fix - use the Cut-out case and swap in a diode. Keeps the look correct at least.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:18 am

You won't lose your lights, but you will lose the ability for the generator to charge. If you have the original style light switch with the little flat resister on the side, you can simply connect your F lead to the F term and it will be as it would have been originally. On a tractor with no lights that lead on cut out provided a low charge circuit through a resister to keep the generator charging. Other options are to use a regulator instead, or to by a charging resister, or to buy one of these resisters from TM and connect it between the F term of generator and ground. None of these can be seen when the hood is on.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:32 am

If you want your cut-out rebuilt, you might try these folks:

http://www.classicgenerator.com/

I have a NOS Delco cutout I am "saving," probably for my white demo project. The next time I have issues with one though I am going to try Dusti's conversion.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I finally got a chance to finish working on this cub problem and thought I would give this thread some closure.
I got my old cutout relay working again. I'm not 100% sure what I did that most likely got it charging again but I reset the point and air gaps (they were off but not by much) cleaned the points cleaned dirt and crud out of relay and resistor. Thanks to this forum I learned the relay cover is not to be grounded in any way and sure enough there was a spacer of some sort between the upper gen adjustment bolt and was touching the cover. Replaced this with a rubber one. Cleaned up the relay ground to the genny and all wires and contacts and genny ground to mounting bracket.
Pulled instrument panel apart and cleaned up light switch ground and all wire contacts. Replaced both resistors. Taped some exposed wire. Polorized generator. Put it all back together and stuck a new light switch decal on.
The cubs charging nicely now both low and high and the lights are still working :D .
I'm thinking it was the new decal that fixed it :wink: .

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:37 am

Hoyt, I'm glad you got your charging system and lights in proper working order. Now, tell us where you get your decals from! :thanx:
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:55 am

Yeah thanks, I really didn't want to have to buy a new cutout relay and since my tractor didn't have a magneto I'm really glad to get it working again.
As for the decal, http://www.tmtractor.com/index_007newparts.htm. Picked up just the switch decal and bunch of other little parts.

Dan

Return to “Farmall Cub”