This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 1 row planter and side dresser

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Choward2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42376

Cub 1 row planter and side dresser

Postby Choward2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 am

I recently acquired a 1 row planter for a cub. I have been reading the manuals online but was wondering what gear combination I need to use to plant sweet corn. I also was wondering what cell plates you all suggest. I have a 13 tooth drive gear on the wheel. I know I need to choose the population and then measure and test it. I am just trying to get a starting point.

The side dresser has the adjustment lever on the side. It is froze up but I am currently working on it. What gear combination do I need to use to side dress the corn. Can I run the side dresser straight from the counter shaft? What setting does the lever need to be on to apply the fertilizer?

Thanks for the help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub 1 row planter and side dresser

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 am

I rough starting point is all anyone can give you. Plate selection depends on your seed size. Fertilizer flow will vary by the granularity of the fertilizer and even the moisture content. You can get as good a guideline as any from the IH manuals. Go to one of the manual links at the top of this page. Look for planter and fertilizer attachment manuals under the Cub Implement Manuals link. Find something similar to your unit. I suggest starting with the Cub-174 manual.

There is also a manual for the Richmond and Combination hoppers that will help you a lot.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 am

Welcome to the forum!
You found the right place for information!

Without more information on what you have for hoppers, here is a place to start when it comes to plate selection:
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Cub%20Attachments/Planters-Fertilizer/Guide%20to%20Accurate%20Planting.pdf

With a 13 tooth sprocket, Jim was correct to point you to the 174 planter as that was the only planter that the 13 tooth sprocket came standard with. You could have the Combination hopper or the Duplex hopper with that planter. The link above advises you on plates for the Combination and the older Richmond hopper.

It can get confusing as the older one-row planters could have 4 different hoppers with four completely different styles of plates.

You can usually get a recommendation on the type of plate to use from the seed company. For Combination/Richmond plates it will likely be for the new plastic (Lustran) plates instead of the cast iron plates. Here is a link to photos of my planter plate collection for Richmond and Combination hoppers so you can see the wide variety of plates available in better detail that the manuals: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101518556547550.3475.100000682194640&type=1&l=f4b2f822f8

Choward2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Choward2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks for the quick replies and the information. The manual I have been looking at is for the 174. When it talks about using the feed wheel and sprocket size for the fertilizer hopper, what does that mean? Mine has a 14 tooth sprocket on the fertilize shaft by the hopper and is driven by a 9 tooth sprocket off the planter drive. The planter drive has a 12 tooth sprocket driven by a 7 tooth off of the counter shaft right now. I know I have to switch the sprockets for the planter population, but is there a different gear combination to use when just side dressing so I can take the planter drive off to get it out if the way?

Thanks

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:05 am

Choward2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Choward2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

When the manual says slow speed sprocket and fast speed sprocket, does that mean change these sprockets on the countershaft and leave the sprocket on the fertilizer feed alone?

I hate to be posting all of these questions, but am curious where to change these sprockets.

Thanks

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Search above for the CBI 1A implements parts manual. Look for the one labeled OCR as it is a clean scan and I have it bookmarked. If you look at the diagrams, you will see what sprockets are available for each shaft. Another clue will be the date used in the part listing. Sometimes two different part numbers were used were used at one location, but there was a replacement- up to one date for a part and a different part after that. If you do these things for yourself, you will learn how to navigate the pdf manual section and learn to interpret the parts books. I think IH left details out of Operator's Manuals so they did not need to update them when parts changed. I can't come up with a better explanation as to why operator books always fall a little short of showing parts and options.

Have you used it yet?

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:55 pm

Bob, the manuals fall short in several areas in my opinion. Not only parts and options, also in implement operation. Personally I believe this was intentional so that you relied upon IH dealer for his expertise. The more you go to the dealer, the more he sells in theory. JMO
Thomas

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm

I have found the parts manuals to be thorough and complete. Right down to the lock washer. The major glaring mistake was the direction of the oil slinger in the fan hub which went on for years. Tractor parts books were a nuisance for a while when they decided to take engines out and the plow parts books were not easy until you got all the right books. Of course the dealer had a counter full of them so it was probably not an issue for them. Since I scanned so many pages- somewhere between 15-20,000- I at least picked up an idea as to where to look for things and sometimes that is half the battle.

All and all, considering the many 10's of thousands of pages their publication department produced, decades before computers, I am pretty impressed. Operation of something like the fertilizer and speed selection has to depend upon the crop and the soil and the condition of the soil and all of that is going to be different from one side of a county to another. Even though I managed to find just about every gear IH had in their planter books, I never strayed very much from the standard sprockets. Then again, I am an ambitious gardener, not an experienced farmer! :lol:

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:34 pm

If you have the 174 with a combination hopper, there are many things that change seed spacing/population. You can change the sprockets around, you can change the seed drive ratio, you can choose between 8,12,16, 24 cell seed plates, the size of your rear tires will change it from the chart in the book etc. I would recommend (if you need to buy seed plates) to go to the Lincoln Ag website and look at the lustran plates for IH. It will have the length/depth/width of the cells in the plate as measured in 64th's of an inch. You can measure your seed and figure out a good match for it. That will get you started. plus, you can find used plates (lustran) online for next to nothing. Last one I bought was $7.00, and brand new I think they are $15-20. Then you can play around with the sprockets.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 pm

To add another question, How many teeth are on the drive gear on the finial, they made 2 different gears 10 and 13
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 pm

also if you have the 7 tooth star wheel in the hopper you can run it on 5 to 8 and put down plenty of fertilizer, If you have the 14 tooth one you will need to raise it to about 15 to 18
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 am

Boss Hog wrote:To add another question, How many teeth are on the drive gear on the finial, they made 2 different gears 10 and 13
Boss

Choward2 wrote:I have a 13 tooth drive gear on the wheel.

Choward2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Choward2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for all the help. I looked at the manuals and made some notes to look at. I have the different gears except for the 15 tooth gears I need. The combination hopper is good and I will check on the plates.

Thanks for the help and if anyone has any more suggestions or tips please let me know.

Return to “Farmall Cub”