This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

best spark plug and why

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: best spark plug and why

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 am

Tezell wrote:... BR chimed in and said "they ain't nothing wrong with them*&^@%# plugs Bucket Head, throw in the back of my truck" and I did. ...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boy did we have a good time last Friday!!!

That we did! Hope to do it again soon. Don't want to wait till February to get that kind of fun in!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:16 am

mcjibtmj wrote:Wow, I don't know if I learned as much about plugs as I was hoping but I did learn about the sense of humor that exists on this forum. I think I'm going to copy this thread & bring it up any time I'm feeling a bit down. for the laugh, I needed it today.

Joe
I guess my last reply got :censored: :censored: .... For protective reasons of the site, I suppose :mrgreen: , which is fine, but we do need more humor in this world and if any of my remarks were interpreted as prejudicial they weren't...For the record I served with some great black men and hispanics in Nam, and part of our daily routine was saving each others lives....Ironically my nickname was "Ghost" due to my skin color...We did find time to laugh on occasion also....Now, should I send this......Hmmmmmmmm......Have a great day ....Keep :lol: :lol: :lol:
In Memory of 58,286

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:56 am

To gap or not to gap: that is the question. What's the odds of the gap coming out of the box being correct? I know I deserve to be yelled at and have all manner of insult hurled my way for not having a feeler gauge but I forgot to pick one up at the parts store. I'm a newbie.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Posco,
Can't promise they are all like this, but the set that Tim Ezell referred to that we put in my mowing tractor were all perfect out of the box. Tim personally checked each one and they were all just right. Chamption D21s. Might have just been our lucky day!!??
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I use Autolite 386, because I get them cheap. (a son married into the auto parts business) Champions are hard to find, in this area. The rare Champion dealers, don't carry D21, and have no interest, in ordering them. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

As with Mr. E, I have found that the Champion D21s I have bought have (so far) all been correctly gapped straight out of the box. If you need the tractor before you can get back to the store to buy a feeler gauge, I would go ahead and install them, then pull and check after you have secured a feeler gauge.

FWIW, I have read that the wire loop gauges are the most accurate, but I have gotten along fine for 30+ years using flat gauges (never seem to be able to find a wire loop gauge that has the particular gap I need. The flat gauges have the added benefit that you can "stack" two or more blades to measure a gap that is larger than the largest flat gauge (such as the air gap in the VR).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 pm

NGK I forget the part # because they last so long. I've had champions bad straight from the box.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:38 pm

I was curious to what style of feeler gauge to get, being new. I'll see what the store carries. I bought a set of 386's but upon further review here went and got some D-21's today.I'll keep the Autolite's for a spare set. New alternator, well, a rebuilt referencing the Hatachi part number and a tire iron to break the front tires loose so I can look them over.

Timely post on cleaning the radiator. I was wondering what the best approach to that was.

Great learning tool right here!

jrmartin1964
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38862
Tractors Owned: :
1945 Farmall A
1947 Farmall A
1949 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere M

Postby jrmartin1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm

I ran Champion D18Ys in my Cub for a number of years. Simply took them out maybe twice each year, hit them with a wire brush, checked the gap, and put them right back in. Just over five years on that same set of sparkplugs. Then I decided it was probably time for a brand-new set of plugs, so off to the store I went. They didn't carry Champions, but told me that the Autolite 386 was 'equivalent'. From the very first set, on the very first cranking, the engine now had a slight 'miss' which no amount of troubleshooting or tinkering would eliminate. For far too long I had simply accepted that I would need new sparkplugs at least three times every year, and some years as many as six. Just today I happened upon two sets of Autolite 3116s and, after having read numerous posts on this forum and others, I snapped them both up. As quickly as I could I put one set in my Cub and gave it a crank. I was immediately aware that the previously ever-present 'miss' was gone, and that the engine was sounding more like I remembered it from the days when it had the old D18s in it.

And just a few minutes ago I found a full box of eight Champion D18Ys that I must have bought way-back-when.
So, if these new Autolites let me down...
1945 Farmall A
1947 Farmall A
1949 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere M

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 pm

I've been using A-C plugs in the Cub. 46's I think. Only changed 2 or 3 times in 50 years that I can remember. Can probably find enough to make a set if BR needs them. Lots of soot as the tractor ran rich for years!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Wow. Tim! You have left BR speechless!!! That don't happen often. :lol: :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:04 pm

I got the kinks worked out and I can't tell you how pleased I am. I put in some new champion D-21's, a new alt, starting switch, re-wired the entire thing and a new battery. Lubricated everything that would accept oil or grease but the best part is the way it starts. Quite literally, one half a second on the ignition switch and it starts, and I'm talking a cold tractor. The mojo is strong in this one...if not accidental.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Glad to hear your Cub is breathing :big smile:

Feels good doesn't it :?: :D There is something about hearing for the first time a Cub come to life for you and realizing that it is alive because you gave it the TLC it needed :applause:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Rudi

I've been involved in other forums for a long time but I've got to say, this is fast becoming my favorite. The help and encouragement you guys provide is fantastic and it is truly appreciated.

I feel like I want to YouTube the way this thing starts. Snap---it's running. I was considering painting it but a farming buddy of mine talked me into enjoying the 'character' of the hard-earned blemishes it sports. Dents, scratches and all. I think I'll follow his thinking, at least for the time being.

Keep your ear pointed toward northern Maine 'cause I'm sure I'll be needing some more input.

Thanks, Mark

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:45 pm

12 volt is a great thing Mark
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”