This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

spike tooth drag

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

spike tooth drag

Postby TJG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I've got a small spike tooth yard drag in the shed I'd like to adapt to the cub for bad spots in the yard. I'd like some input.

I considered using a chain for the vertical attachment to the rear rockshaft. The two horizontal attachments are about the same height as the drawbar. I'd use a simple metal bar connection. I'd let the drawbar pivot on the drawbar bracket, and pin/fixate the mount on the drag.

Any better suggestions? Any input how far behind the drawbar it should trail?

IMG_5111.jpg
IMG_5111.jpg (326.28 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

IMG_5112.jpg
IMG_5112.jpg (301.62 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: spike tooth drag

Postby leerenovations » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:58 pm

I had a small spike drag like that and the problem I had with a chain on the rockshaft is that the drag wouldnt lay flat when being pulled. It would flip up and only use the front set of spikes. I got around this by using an old car suspension spring welded between two pieces of pipe. This way it would exert pressure to keep it level on the ground but still absorb any shock so I didnt damage my touch control. It worked pretty well until someone stole the harrow. Hope this helps.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Long chain attached to harrow ends. Loop in center of chain, closed with bolt, nut and washers. Attach loop to draw bar with a clevis so that it drags behind right rear wheel. Chain does not have to have very heavy/thick links - light twisted linked chain works well.

I have a cut down section of a larger peg toothed harrow I pull behind a CC garden tractor set up in this manner.

If you need more weight you can lay - attach a 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 across the harrow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:06 am

I like the chain idea and dragging it behind the right tire, but I don't think I could lift it that way with the rock shaft and not have it fall into the back of the tractor.

Todd

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:48 am

Missed the wanting to lift the harrow with the tractor hydraulics.

The peg toothed harrow I tow behind my Cub was originally 4 or 6 sections. I use one sections towed behind the disk harrow. The section lays flat when moving the disk harrow.

My thought is why not pick up a 4 or 6 section harrow at auction or from one of the local farmers. They can usually be obtained for scrap metal price. One section from peg toothed harrows used by farmers is large enough to cover the disk harrow and close to covering both Cub rear tires - depending in width tires set at.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:30 am

Here's a homemade one I picked up from club member PRJones. It's made from channel iron and old railroad spikes Added a couple of pieces of chain. I'd like to raise and lower with the fast hitch but haven't work that out yet.

Kirk

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 am

Not mine and made for a 3pt set up but it might give you some ideas.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:37 am

I have 2 old John Deere sections that I took apart, cleaned, and painted. They work real well and are real good for planting grass.
Attachments
001 (640x480).jpg
001 (640x480).jpg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Return to “Farmall Cub”