This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Smoking electrical system

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Smoking electrical system

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Glad its working....I mentioned diode from experience....I stood looking stupefied after a 12 volt conversion when I tried to shut the old girl down.....That was before I joined the forum and was just relying on what I could remember from the 1963/64 boces auto mechanics class......LOL...This forum is great... Lots of good people here......Dave
In Memory of 58,286

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:01 pm

If the other "oiled" areas were that bad, you should check the fan. I'd bet it's dry too.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:37 am

Bob McCarty wrote:If the other "oiled" areas were that bad, you should check the fan. I'd bet it's dry too.

Bob

The fan hub? I did. Turned it to three o'clock and removed the screw, filled it, turned it to 6 o'clock to drain the excess and put the screw back in. It was thirsty.

Thanks, Bob.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 am

Nobody knows the troubles I have seen.

I dove into it this morning to finish the wiring and i'm struggling to get the hood off...didn't realize the gas tank and hood are integral. No problem, I got it off. The breather cover came off with some effort but the real trouble began with the muffler. It looked like it was in fine shape but it was rotted at the base and when it broke a fair amount of the debris went straight down into the manifold.

Can i vacuum it out if I take the riser off down to where it taps into the manifold or do i need to take the intake off? I think already know the answer. Ten dollars says the bolts are rotted that secure the intake. Oh snap.

The good news is i got me a brand new muffler, clamp and rain cap. God bless Tractor Supply!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm

The exhaust pipe won't unscrew from the manifold without a fight, either...

I would try to rig up a length of garden hose on the shop vac to reach down the pipe and suck up what I could. You'll probably need to pull the larger pieces out stuck to the end of the hose.

You could also start the tractor with no muffler and let the engine blow the bits out.

Don't worry, the rust can't get into the cylinders. The only time the exhaust valves are open is when the engine is on the "blow" stroke. It never sucks on the exhaust unless it's running backwards.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:The exhaust pipe won't unscrew from the manifold without a fight, either...

I would try to rig up a length of garden hose on the shop vac to reach down the pipe and suck up what I could. You'll probably need to pull the larger pieces out stuck to the end of the hose.

You could also start the tractor with no muffler and let the engine blow the bits out.

Don't worry, the rust can't get into the cylinders. The only time the exhaust valves are open is when the engine is on the "blow" stroke. It never sucks on the exhaust unless it's running backwards.

Best news I've had all day. Thank you, Matt.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Should I put heat to the manifold or just give it a try?

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Can anyone explain to to me what these electrical wire are coming off the tee on my oil pressure gauge? It has two wires, one leading to a terminal on the alternator and the other leading to the starter switch (cranking motor).
Attachments
Cub electrical 006.jpg
Cub electrical 006.jpg (317.02 KiB) Viewed 78 times

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Looks to me like someone added a low oil cutout, like what's on a Honda engine. Definitely not original to the tractor. I think I'd take that baby out all together, T and all, and thread the oil pressure gauge back into the filter housing. Just double check how it's wired because it may not start if you just unplug it. Those switches are either "normally open" or "normally closed" so you can check this by disconnecting the wires and touching each terminal with your volt meter set to ohms.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 pm

gitractorman wrote:Looks to me like someone added a low oil cutout, like what's on a Honda engine. Definitely not original to the tractor. I think I'd take that baby out all together, T and all, and thread the oil pressure gauge back into the filter housing. Just double check how it's wired because it may not start if you just unplug it. Those switches are either "normally open" or "normally closed" so you can check this by disconnecting the wires and touching each terminal with your volt meter set to ohms.

Continuity test? This has turned into one nightmare of a job for a guy who doesn't have any working knowledge of twelve volt electrical systems. Do you mind if I post a couple more pictures and pick your brain a bit? I'm not even certain what some of the major components are. I recognize a distributor but not the silver box atop it. Note the wire lead off the bottom of the distributor.
Attachments
Cub electrical 004.jpg
Cub electrical 004.jpg (305.01 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:35 pm

The coil for your magnito is inside that silver box. The wire on the side goes to the kill switch (ground, no voltage). If you take that tee and switch out, your alt. won't charge ( if it's a 10si) The mag and alt. are 2 seperate circuits.
Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Arthur Luke wrote:The coil for your magnito is inside that silver box. The wire on the side goes to the kill switch (ground, no voltage). If you take that tee and switch out, your alt. won't charge ( if it's a 10si) The mag and alt. are 2 seperate circuits.

In order for you to fully appreciate my lack of understanding of this wiring I have to ask you a question...would that coil be six or twelve volt? Where does a ballast resistor come into play here?

I probably can tax your patience but I hope I don't.

Thank you, Art and all of those attempting to walk me through this.

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 pm

No external voltage needed for a mag. The ballast resistor is not needed.
If you had a battery ignition then you would need the resistor.
Hope this thins the mud a little for you and doesn;t make it worse.
Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Arthur Luke wrote:No external voltage needed for a mag. The ballast resistor is not needed.
If you had a battery ignition then you would need the resistor.
Hope this thins the mud a little for you and doesn;t make it worse.

The wiring diagram showed it going from the distributor to the ignition coil, then to the ballast resistor and then to the ignition switch. Am I correct that I can run a length of wire directly from the distributor to the ignition switch?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:13 am

Posco, your two pics tell me you need to back up a bit here. Forget everything said about ballast resisters, diodes and coil voltage. You have a fully functioning magneto, which requires no electrical connection, other than a wire to the kill switch to ground the mag to shut the engine down, it will run without that wire even hooked up, you just can't shut it down.. The pressure switch tee'd into your oil pressure gauge is a method for operating your 10si alternator when no ignition circuit is available to do so, actually pretty clever, leave it alone. With the pressure switch, there is no need for a diode, either. The lead from the pressure switch simply connects to the alternator where the diagram shows the diode being connected. You need to look at the magneto and the rest of the electrical system as two separate systems, which are in no way connected to each other.

Return to “Farmall Cub”