This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mulching the garden

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Mulching the garden

Postby v w » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 pm

I have for years mulched my garden to keep the weeds from growing and to use less water. My 50X50 garden takes about two acres of grass to mulch. I'm getting close to my no hoe garden. Then put up an electric fence to keep the coons out with a fishline at the top of the poles to keep the deer out if they aren't too hungry and I'll be ready to sit back.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Re: Mulching the garden

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:44 am

looks good, the last time I mulched mine I used hay, boy was that a mistake, I had so many weeds the following season. so now I just go through with a cultavator and my trusty hoe.this year in early spring I sprayed with round-up when the weeds started growing, and waited about 4 weeks, and then planted my veggies, it seem to work pretty good. weeds are gone for the most part, and veggies are doing good.
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:36 am

That looks very nice! Many people use newspaper. I have tried both straw (too many weeds next year) and Cedar Mulch (used for horse bedding).
The Cedar worked best, but after many years it may make your garden acidic.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:05 am

I have used a mulch for years without any problem with weeds. It is tilled in in late fall. The mulch is basically quack grass which does have seed heads but apparrently not mature enough to germinate. Most weed seeds need light to germinate. The mulch is 4 to 5 inches deep. I do have a permanent mulch garden for vine crops but that is a differrent method. Vern

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”