This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Compression Casualty

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Another Compression Casualty

Postby WKPoor » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:34 pm

Some might remember posts earlier this yr about my high compression H. Well after all the trouble that has caused I now have found another weak link. The Starter! I installed a new starter last fall and last week the bendix took a crap. So I'm talking to the repair shop about repair and parts when I bring it in the next day and he asked me if this was a puller. I said no, but told him it was a little warmer than stock. He tells me that many starters come to him off pullin tractors were the bendix spring has failed trying to crank through the pressure. It will overwind the spring and either permantly deform it or break it. I will need a clutch type bendix to overcome this. So there you are, another lesson learned $$$ :lol: . I still don't want to go back to stock however, as its running real good now. I wonder what the next weak link will be? :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:00 am

If it's a tractor you work hard rather than just occasionaly or just for shows, your next problem will probbably be oil consumption in a coupe years. We had one years ago (working tractor) that Dad put in the thnwall sleeves coupled with the stepped pistons, and the combination of the 2 resulted in it's starting to use oil in just a years ro two. This was a tractor we did custom work with, so it worked long and hard. Light use probably will not cause a problem however.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:21 pm

John, This tractor is used everyday for something, mostly idles around though, rarely sees or will see any prolonged heavy usage. All in all even if it does wear out quickly its pretty cheap power. I've only got about $1200.00 in the motor. I'm wondering about the rod or maybe even the crank bearings. I've always heard from many that the old tractors in general were severly de-rated for obvious reasons. I guess I'm putting that theory to the test.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”