This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

125 Hydro questions

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

125 Hydro questions

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm

My 125 was parked a few years back and not used since then, was running. Bought a new battery and coil, cleaned out the fuel system and carb. Doesn't appear to have any spark, isn't there some about these hydrostatics that won't let spark go to the plug, like making sure the pedal on the left is engaged. Also how to you get a hydro cub to roll freely? Like as if it was in neutral?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Re: 125 Hydro questions

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Also will the ballast resistor cause it not to produce a spark? And how do these turn over, there is no starter and the generator turns it over??

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Questions. Does the starter generator crank the engine over? What exactly is the engine doing, not doing?

Locate the wiring diagram for the tractor. Without any more information, hard to diagnose the problem.

CapeCodCubs wrote:how to you get a hydro cub to roll freely? Like as if it was in neutral?
Lever by your right calf when sitting on the seat. Push the lever down and the tractor should roll.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:51 pm

The engine turns over really well, it just seems to me that there was something that would not let it start unless it was engaged...haven't had this Cub running in maybe 10 years, having trouble remembering it's unique set up...I have the service manual but not the operators manual.

I will try and add more info as I try and figure it out. Should I replace the ballast resistor? What do they do?

The engine cranks no problem, just no spark, there is a good flow to the carb, too. Thanks Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Don't replace anything until problem is diagnosed.

Engine cranks, no spark.

Remove the points cover. Open points. Ignition on, check for voltage at the points.

Or, points open, ignition on. Remove coil wire and lay next to block. Jump the points with a flat bladed screw driver. If you get a spark, problem is the points.

Conduct compression tests?
I have an excuse. CRS.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:14 pm

I am not familiar with the hydros but I believe if the safety switch is still operational the brake needs to be pushed in. Many times these are bypassed as they are a common problem, especially with the gear drives. Wiring can be a challenge on these, suggest doing some tracing as Eugene suggested if the switch isn't the issue.
I just experienced the same issue on a 125 and I pulled the plug from the safety switch and put a jumper on it and it fired right up! It was a "scrap yard rescue" that hadn't run in years, had lights, rear weights, a good front blade, rear hitch and IH helper spring.... got it for a song... kept the few things I wanted and gave it to my son in law, he was excited, as was my grandson when he got a ride on it!

Good luck,
David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks guys,
Eugene wrote:Don't replace anything until problem is diagnosed.

Engine cranks, no spark.

Remove the points cover. Open points. Ignition on, check for voltage at the points.

Or, points open, ignition on. Remove coil wire and lay next to block. Jump the points with a flat bladed screw driver. If you get a spark, problem is the points.

Conduct compression tests?

Will check this out and test for compression, although even not used in about 10 years it seems to have good compression and seems to still be solid, this Cadet is totally original and has an original electrical system...thanks

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:27 am

On the 125, there two safety interlocks, and either one will cause the starter interrupt, i.e., nothing will happen when you turn the key, the starter will not turn over. One, the PTO must be disengaged, and two, the clutch/brake pedal must be depressed. If you can get the starter to turn the engine, then the safety switches are ok. There are no other special safety features on a hydro over a gear drive on the older Cadets.

If you are cranking and there's no spark, and especially if it has sat for a long time, the points are corroded and not opening. Take the points cover off (left side of engine, front, bottom, little cover protruding out about 1" x 1" x 2"). Crank the engine and see if you have a nice blue spark at the points. If not, a little sand paper will clean them up.

Getting the tractor to roll freely may be difficult. There is a Hydro Dump lever on the side of the transmission tunnel, right side of the frame. This must be held up while pushing the tractor. If you lift this and there is no resistance, the arms are broken off (VERY COMMON) and you cannot roll the tractor. There is no other disconnect for the hydro on a 125. Later hydro cadets had self dumping transmissions, so they would roll around when turned off. This one does not, so the hydro is always locked. Even with the dump lever held up, if it's working properly, it will NOT roll like in neutral. There is always some drag on the hydro, so it will whine a little and be a little difficult to push around.

Honestly, if it ran when parked, the easiest way to get it going will be to put a new spark plug, new points, and fresh gas in it. Completely drain the tank and put new gas in it. Tap the float bowl on the carb a few times to get the float unstuck. Also, Sea Foam makes a product called Deep Creep. I would take the fuel line off the carb and spray this into the carb fuel inlet. I would also spray this into the air intake of the carb and the spark plug hole while the plug is out. Spray a ton of it in and just let it sit for an hour or two while working on other things. This stuff works miracles on old engines that have sat for a while. Trust me!

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 am

Since the "K" series Kohler engines have an automatic compression release, a compression test like you would perform on an ordinary engine, will not be accurate. There is a procedure to check the compression in the service manual.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 am

gitractorman wrote:If you are cranking and there's no spark, and especially if it has sat for a long time, the points are corroded and not opening. Take the points cover off (left side of engine, front, bottom, little cover protruding out about 1" x 1" x 2"). Crank the engine and see if you have a nice blue spark at the points. If not, a little sand paper will clean them up. Bill

Yup. Sand the points, even if they are opening.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Return to “Cub Cadet”