This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Excellent Saturday Adventure

The new home for CubFest and Tractor show Announcements & Discussions.
Forum rules
ALL CubFest discussion posted in other forums will be moved to this forum without advance notice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: CubFest organizers -- Notify a TeamCub member or the ADMIN (Dennis) to "Sticky" your event announcement in this forum.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

My Excellent Saturday Adventure

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Not sure if I would have a chance to make it to the 2013 RPRU until Friday night, I didn't have a lot of time to prepare. I printed out the directions from the RPRU website tossed it in one of the saddle bags on my bike, tossed some rain gear in as well and hit the road around 6:30 AM Saturday morning. I shot down to US-30 and headed east, Ohio bound.

The weather was great for a morning ride. As I got closer to Lima, I'd planned on using the GPS on my phone to guide me to the Fairgrounds. Somehow, don't ask me how but I missed the I-75 South exit. :oops: In my mind that was the I-75 North exit and assumed that the South exit was further down US-30. Shortly before I passed the exit, the "low fuel" light came on illuminating the instrument cluster. "No problem", I thought. I'd get fuel at the next off ramp or I-75 South exit. In Michigan and most of Indiana, gas stations can be found at many exits off any main highway. Well not so, it appears in Ohio. :shock: As I was approaching 25 miles beyond the I-75 exit there had not been any indication that I missed the South exit nor was there any sign of a gas station. I don't know how far I can travel once the low fuel light comes on but I have never driven much past 25 miles before filling up. I was really getting worried that I might run out of fuel and didn't have anyone that I knew to call if I did. I pulled off the side of the highway and got out my phone put the ear buds in my ears and proceed to listen to nice female voice say "signal lost". :roll: My only choice was to continue to ride till I either found fuel or ran out of it. The next exit I came to said Williamson / Dunkirk if my memory is correct. Williamson was just off the highway but there was nothing there. I turned around and headed towards Dunkirk and found a gas station. :{_}: I filled the bike up and asked directions and only then did I realize I missed the I-75 South exit. Off I went, backtracking till I was back on track to get to Lima. :roll:

Once at the show, I was surprised that more motorcycles weren't there. One nice thing about riding a bike is you usually get the best parking spots. They parked me right outside the front gate.

I wondered into the fairgrounds and was enveloped in a sea of red. I made my way over to the FarmallCub.com area and was pleased to meet Denny Clayton, Don McCombs, Gary Dotson, Ketchum, Dale Finch and of course Barnyard Bill. It was great to meet you all and appreciate the warm welcome. I felt like family there.

Among the immaculately restored Cubs:

were a couple of engineering marvels:

Outside of the FarmallCub.com area were several others. Here is one example:

The trip home was nice except for a couple of rain showers. While traveling west on US-30 I could see it raining heavily ahead of me. I had time to stop alongside the road and don my raingear just in time to avoid getting wet. After riding through a downpour for about 10 minutes it cleared up but a couple more showers passed along the way. Pulling into a rest area to call home, a truck and trailer with a Cub on it pulled in behind me. Naturally I had to go talk to them. They were from Wisconsin and had just purchased the Cub at the show.

The bike worked perfectly and made a great trip, that turned into a little adventure, a pleasure.
Last edited by ricky racer on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: My Excellent Saturday Adventure

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Sounds like you had a great time Rick ... :D

Someday.........
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:58 am

That was quite an adventure, Ricky thanks for sharing it with us. And the pics of the tractors were superb. I also love your choice of motor bike, lovely machine, I bet it's real comfortable too. Meeting with all those other cub guys must have been the bonus on your trip. I used to ride bikes myself as a young man, mainly because I couldn't afford a car in those days. Thanks again,
Donegal Cub.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:54 am

Hey Rick, it was great to meet you! Please don't be a stranger to future events.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:37 am

Rick, I enjoyed meeting you too, hope to see you again soon!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Ricky, glad I was able to meet you, in person. Next year's Bash is only a little bit further. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “CubFest and Tractor Show Announcements & Discussions”